PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Mold Mats?

Domestic_Sugar
August 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21472&name=Classic%20Chrysanthemum%20Mold%20by%20First%2 0Impressions

How does this mat work? How does it compare to a veneer?

busymomof4
September 1st, 2010, 02:37 AM
This is a silicone mold in which you push the fondant into the mold to completely fill the mold cavity. Place the filled mold in the freezer until the fondant is firm enough to unmold. The mold is very flexible. It takes a bit of practice, but I've been happy with the results. I have one that makes a bow. Read carefully to determine if the mold is a single cavity or double etc. because the process can be time consuming if you have a lot to make.

Domestic_Sugar
September 1st, 2010, 03:14 AM
Thanks for that busymom...

If the mold is made of silicon, how do you/can you press fondant into it? Should it not be flexible, thus making it hard to 'press' anything into it?

busymomof4
September 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
Filling the mold isn't difficult. You need to be sure the cavity is filled completely. The flexability allows you to fill every detail of the mold. I found that the fondant cannot be too "wet" due to coloring or too dry. A wet fondant sticks to your fingers and I had a difficult time filling the mold. A fondant that is too dry can show your fingerprints. Once you practice, these molds create nice 3-D fondant pieces.

luv2bake6
September 14th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Wow, that's a beautiful flower! I never knew how to use those molds and didn't want to spend the money on something i won't use. Now i'll look into them more seriously.
Anyone have any tutorials on how to use them?