PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Heat Sealer!

DippinPops
September 11th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I just got it about an hour ago and I must say I LOVE it - I individually sealed an entire batch of cookies in just a few minutes. Did I mention that I love it? It even sealed those "cello" bags as well as Ziplok bags! Oh and you can seal, cut & reseal the cutoff part to make the bottom for a new bag!

BUT I have one problem - it's a big one so any advice would be really great...
How so you open the bag after it has been sealed? The bags from Michael's and Hobby Lobby kind of just stretch before you go nuts trying to get to your cookie. There's got to be a way other than scissors!

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

tdodd00
September 11th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hi Michelle - Thanks so much for giving us the report on your new heat sealer. Now that I know that model will seal the cello bags, I am good to go~

Obviously I can't help you with your question, but I am curious...why are you concerned about how they will open the bag, I kind of think that is their problem, not being snarky, just sayin'. Are you planning on sealing cookies that you are keeping for yourself?

DippinPops
September 11th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Terri, I don't care about how I get them open - I just have visions of someone trying to rip it open & the pretty cookie that cost them $2 or whatever breaks or falls to the floor. Just wondering if there is a better way... Did I mention I really love it? I'm really glad I got it! I am also glad I got the 12" one since it will work on gallon ziplok bags.

tdodd00
September 11th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Okay, I get it now! The 12 inch would be nice to do ziplock bags but since I have a food saver I think I can get by with the 8 inch. So happy it works so good and you can't beat the price!

DippinPops
September 11th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Yep, the 8" is probably the ideal size, but for me, I store my icing in the gallon bags until I am ready to use/color it. I plan to fill with my first color, seal, fill next color, seal, etc. so I will have all of my colors done and together and when I am ready to use, just snip & fill my bottles. (wonder if I can freeze it just like that?) BTW, Although the kids had some trouble, based on the amt of bags i saw laying around my DH had absolutely no problem getting to the cookies I sealed up this afternoon! : )

linedancer
September 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I use 1 mil bags from uline. I tried 2 mil and have run into the same problem, you can't get them open without scissors!!

DippinPops
September 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I use 1 mil bags from uline. I tried 2 mil and have run into the same problem, you can't get them open without scissors!!

Thanks - also the "cello" type bags (i have ones w/ the gussetts) are way easier to pull apart - & they don't look destroyed after opening. I think I will use those, if I can find a smaller size... I will also try the 1 ml bags.

Yadkin Valley Cookies
September 11th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Oh Michelle, I'm jealous. That's on my "want" list!

DippinPops
September 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Tammy, I have wanted one for a while - I also do gourmet pretzels & thought it would be good for that. So glad I got it, only $54 for a 12" with cutter, free shipping on ebay - I couldn't pass it up!

luv2bake6
September 14th, 2010, 10:17 PM
ebay has great deals; i got my 12-inch for 39.99 and free shipping! I chose the 12-inch cuz it was the same price as the 8 inch one then.