PDA

View Full Version : How do you promote your cookies?

CindyW
January 3rd, 2011, 01:41 AM
Do you promote or advertise your cookies, or is it all word of mouth?

PaintedCookie
January 3rd, 2011, 02:02 AM
Brindy I promote on Facebook, Mad Mimi for email promotions (free if you have under 100 emails which is what I have) and I donate to several organizations in town that always brings me new customers. And in the beginning, I gave away a lot of cookies, but after a couple of years it has really started paying off.

Nanny's Sugar Cookies
January 3rd, 2011, 02:51 AM
I started off by giving away "free samples" of my cookies in hopes of getting orders and it did work, thankfully. Then my brother created my website http//:www.nannyssugarcookies.com but this fall I added a blog just to be able to post new cookie designs because I don't know how to manage the website. Word of mouth is the biggest generator for my business. also I have my website on the ingredients label that goes on the back of each cookie favor, this method reaches a lot of possible customers :)

focadima
January 3rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
well I am VERY new to this--but I also post photos on FB--my own personal one..not a cookie business one. I get a number of orders through this. I also brought cookies to a number of events last year--or especially when I went to graduation parties!
I am a horrible self promoter

Yadkin Valley Cookies
January 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I started by giving out cookies to everyone local that I worked with, like banks-dr, dentist, county offices
( I work in government) and taking to family gatherings.
I also use facebook which promotes some local business (sometimes mail order too). I now have an etsy
shop that keeps me hoping too.

alysestanley
January 4th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I have a Facebook page and also a blog for my non-FB customers.

CindyW
January 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Thank you guys for all the great ideas. I will be putting them to use!

HeidiLowe
January 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hi!

I have a website and a FB page. However, word of mouth is my biggest one.

I figured it out, and I have spent almost $600 on print advertising my first year I was open, and I got hardly any orders from it. Maybe a dozen? Over a year.

Then, when I do an order for say, a baby shower, there are times where I would get four orders from that one. So I could pay for advertising that doesn't work, or I could get paid to make cookies for parties and then get more orders from that, lol!!

If it's really slow I will make themed cookies for a business (teeth/brushes for a dentist, dollar signs for a bank) and just take them to their office and introduce myself.

I'm not good at this part at all either.

Adrienne
January 11th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I have a FB page and blog-Florida Cottage food law does not allow advertising on the internet-so word of mouth and craft fairs have been my source so far. I was thinking of doing a flyer and either put on cars at local stores or in my neighborhood. Also I have a full time job, so I get a few orders from co workers.
Adrienne

focadima
January 11th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I am trying to promote this year through FB--I did get a few orders through my personal FB site but now I am trying to build up and network through my cookie FB

snydbs
January 12th, 2012, 09:52 PM
So do all of you work from you home without a license, or do you all have shops. I am about 6 months into this, and I don't know how to move forward because of the laws. I cannot open at shop at this point.

Thyjuan
January 13th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I have a Facebook page and also a blog for my non-FB customers.

Hi Alyse, just wanted to let you know that your FB link isn't working. I was double checking that I've liked your page and when I clicked, it said that your link is broken.

Adrienne
January 13th, 2012, 05:22 PM
snydbs, I have a Cottage Food Business in Florida-which means I cook in my own kitchen with a lot of rules-I would check out you state web page in the DOH section and see what you can find
Good luck Adrienne

snydbs
January 14th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks Adrienne.

frostedbylesley
January 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
When I started out, baking/selling from home, I just posted on FB. I was really careful not to post prices. It was more or less a hobby page and if people contacted me for orders, I'd give them a price. Once I started a business (renting kitchen space), I was able to advertise. I have a website, and I'm doing some local craft shows in the area