PDA

View Full Version : I'm a wannabe cookier.

SwizzleBerry
January 15th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Hi everyone. I'm Sarah from Melbourne, Australia. I love cooking and baking and am obsessed with cookies. I look at photos of beautifully decorated cookies every day wishing that I could create something so wonderful.

I have made sugar cookies a couple of times, usually at Christmas time. They've not been overly successful because of the humidity here. I joined up to see if I could find any tips on baking and decorating cookies while dealing with the joys of humidity.

I've found in the past that my cookies are delicious when they are first cooled, but after a couple of hours they turn slightly crumbly. Within a day or two they are nearly dissolving. There's no way I can decorate them like that.

Any tips would be so appreciated! TIA.

LilaLoa
January 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
It gets quite humid here in the summer time. I try to keep my cookies in an airtight container. When you say that they get crumbly and then nearly dissolve, do you mean that they are too dry? Or soaking up moisture from the air? Have you tried a different cookie dough recipe? You are going to love this site and all the very nice people here. Welcome to cookies!

SwizzleBerry
January 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM
When you say that they get crumbly and then nearly dissolve, do you mean that they are too dry? Or soaking up moisture from the air? Have you tried a different cookie dough recipe? You are going to love this site and all the very nice people here. Welcome to cookies!
Hi :) I meant that they were soaking up moisture from the air. They kind of just melted and crumbled in my hand. They still tasted delicious, but they had no substance. I only tried the one recipe, so it could definitely have been that. Can you recommend a recipe that holds up well to high humidity?

Thanks for the welcome!

DippinPops
January 16th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Welcome! If you need answers, you are bound to find them here for sure! There are also quite a few cookiers here from Australia who may be able to help you out... And if you share your recipe so we know what's in it maybe someone can detect your problem for you...

LilaLoa
January 17th, 2011, 01:48 AM
How are you storing your cookies? After I bake my cookies, I keep them in an airtight container always. After decorating them and while they are drying (when using royal icing) I store them all spread out either in a large plastic container or in a cold oven. When they are dry, I again make sure that they are in an airtight container, or bagged immediately. Even 2 hours sitting out will make them "soggy."

I usually make chocolate sugar cookies because I like them better. I have also found that (for me) the chocolate sugar cookies seem to hold up slightly better in humidity because they are a little more crisp to begin with. I'm sure there are other people in humid places that have great vanilla sugar cookie recipes that work well for them. I'm still working on that one! If you want to try chocolate cookies, I can send you my recipe.

Good luck!

SwizzleBerry
January 17th, 2011, 03:35 AM
How are you storing your cookies? After I bake my cookies, I keep them in an airtight container always. After decorating them and while they are drying (when using royal icing) I store them all spread out either in a large plastic container or in a cold oven. When they are dry, I again make sure that they are in an airtight container, or bagged immediately. Even 2 hours sitting out will make them "soggy."
That could definitely be part of my problem. The first year I made them, I left them on the bench overnight to cool complete. I had made so many of them (for the kids' Christmas parties) that I had no idea what to do with them. I might need to invest in some more storage large containers.

I usually make chocolate sugar cookies because I like them better. I have also found that (for me) the chocolate sugar cookies seem to hold up slightly better in humidity because they are a little more crisp to begin with. I'm sure there are other people in humid places that have great vanilla sugar cookie recipes that work well for them. I'm still working on that one! If you want to try chocolate cookies, I can send you my recipe.

Good luck!
I would LOVE your chocolate sugar cookie recipe. It hadn't even occured to me to try a different flavour and I must admit to being slightly chocoholic ;)

Thanks so much for your help :)

tybaeb3
January 22nd, 2011, 03:27 AM
Hi I also live in Newcastle Australia and find the humidity and cookies don't mix I have had so many disaster stories because of it but I love baking and while only a newbie at decorating them I cant help myself from being obsessed with decorated cookies.