PDA

View Full Version : Fondant Help - Quick!

alyson_a
January 16th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I just tried fondant for the first time (the pre-made Wilton kind), and wanted to cut out some decorations to top cupcakes with.
First, i looked it up really quickly, and it said to use shortening on my board, rolling pin & hands. Is this right? Seemed a little greasy but pretty much did the trick.
But it was sticking a little when I tried to lift the fondant off the board. What did I do wrong?

Here's my real question though:
My decorations are pretty pliable now, and I'd like them to firm up a bit so they keep their shape. Do I leave them out so that they will dry out? Or put in a tupperware?

Help!

Liat
January 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM
First of all, you need to use corn starch with the fondant that it won't stick. Second, you need to leave it out for it to dry. Because of the shortening, I'm not sure how fast it will dry....

LilaLoa
January 17th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I always use shortening with my fondant. Its a matter of choice really. If you want it to firm up, you need to leave it out to dry. If you put your cupcakes in a tupperware with the fondant pieces on them, the fondant decorations will melt.

Thyjuan
January 17th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I've used both shortening and a combo of cornstarch and conf. sugar. I tend to use just a little shortening on my mat - but not anywhere else. That usually helps me with the ease of manipulating the fondant. If I'm doing very quick, simple shapes, I will use cornstarch & sugar combo instead. To let the fondant firm up / stiffen, you need to leave it out. Depending on my cupcake fondant details, I do my fondant work the day before the due date (in open air) and on the morning of, I place everything on the cupcake. This way, the cupcake won't make the fondant soften and everything stays where I've put it.

KateK8
February 4th, 2011, 07:24 AM
You can put Wilton Gum-tex in your fondant before you start. Just knead in a small amount ( I think I read 1 tsp Gum-tex per 12 oz of fondant.) The fondant will dry faster and harder. Just make sure you cover up any extra because it does harden quickly. When finished just let them air dry.