PDA

View Full Version : Soggy cookies?

Minday
March 21st, 2011, 08:07 PM
The humidity is already starting to make my cookies soggy instead of crisp.
We were ok in the winter - leaving them out for the icing to set but now they seem to be getting soggy!
I have tried to store them in a sealed container with some saltine crackers. It didn't help much.

Are there any secrets?

Thanks

Anita1956
March 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Aside from suggesting you move to the West coast..... :)

focadima
March 21st, 2011, 08:36 PM
really?? LOL--I have made lots of cookies lately and have no humidity issues--now wait a few months... LOL

DippinPops
March 21st, 2011, 09:54 PM
I am having issues too... My cookies typically take 8 hours or so to dry and I left them out for 12 before packing them up last night, and some of the icing was sticking to the bag this morning. Not bad, but since I had to take them back out, I was unable to ship them today. Grrr... And it's a first order for a monthly-reorder customer!

focadima
March 21st, 2011, 09:59 PM
wow I have had no recent issues--and I made lots this past week--I leave them out to dry uncovered over night

DippinPops
March 21st, 2011, 10:07 PM
I actually only had issues with the red - I used a combo of Wilton no-taste red and Americolor super red (I had to use a lot & tried Wiltons for the no-taste but it just would not get red enough. One squirt of Americolor did the trick!). So maybe it was the combo? I was not a happy cookier!

The Cookie Corner AZ
March 22nd, 2011, 12:27 AM
When you say "soggy" do you mean the icing looks wrinkled? That happened to me for the first time last week and I wondered why. I made dresses and they looked like I pulled them out of the hamper! I would love to hear responses.

Mellie
March 22nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
When you say "soggy" do you mean the icing looks wrinkled? That happened to me for the first time last week and I wondered why. I made dresses and they looked like I pulled them out of the hamper! I would love to hear responses.

I think this happens when you accidentally move or bump the sheet holding the cookies and the icing has dried slightly on the top but still wet underneath it. Causes a ripple in the icing. had it just happen to me last time I made them. Should have waited or been more carefully when moving them.

cristin30
March 22nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Aside from suggesting you move to the West coast..... :)
I don't know that moving to the West Coast is a great solution at the moment. We have rains for the last several days and expected another several days with 76% humidity at 11pm...

Anita1956
March 22nd, 2011, 07:05 AM
Cristin....shhhhhhhhh. They don't need to know that.

cristin30
March 22nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Cristin....shhhhhhhhh. They don't need to know that.
Anita I read your reply over and over wondering what I said wrong and then I saw your location ;-) he he

bonniebakes
March 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Is putting them in a container with saltines the same idea as keeping a piece of bread in a container with cookies? Because if it is, that might be part of the problem. I think bread is supposed to help keep cookies moist and soft... so maybe the saltines are contributing t o the problem? You might want to try baking them a minute extra so that they aren't as soft when you take them out, if they are getting too soggy.

PaintedCookie
March 22nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
When the Northeast gets into humid weather, I put a drying rack on my sheet pans to help facilitate drying and less of the moisture from the icing from making the cookie too soft. I do like them a little soft, but I need them dry enough so they are fine for packaging. Hope this helps!