PDA

View Full Version : Bakery Emulsions in Royal Icing?

Sweet Creations by Debbie
April 25th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I've never tried adding flavorings to my royal icing, but today I found a few bakery emulsions at Home Goods and I wondered if anybody had tried using them to flavor royal icing. I'm ultra paranoid because it seems that any little change can cause the icing to do weird things, and I know Sugarbelle said she flavors her icing, but I'm not sure if there are any oils in the bakery emulsions.

vtay
April 25th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Debbie

Did you read her blog today? Question answered....and then some!!

alysestanley
April 25th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I do use emulsions in my royal without it changing it.

April 26th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Debbie

Did you read her blog today? Question answered....and then some!!

I did see it, and she mentions using extracts (except orange of course), but not emulsions.

Thanks, Alyse! I'm glad to hear that it doesn't change it. I bought almond and coconut emulsions, and I thought it might taste good in the icing.

Thyjuan
April 26th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I did see it, and she mentions using extracts (except orange of course), but not emulsions.

Thanks, Alyse! I'm glad to hear that it doesn't change it. I bought almond and coconut emulsions, and I thought it might taste good in the icing.

Oooh! That sounds yummy! I may have to see if my Home Goods has them!

April 26th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Alyse, how much of the emulsion do you use in your royal icing?

Thyjuan, Home Goods had them a few months ago but I kept checking back and hadn't found them there until today. This was the first time I'd seen the coconut and almond ones. Their stock varies so much!

vtay
April 26th, 2011, 01:59 AM
scroll down to some of the "comments"...someone asks about emulsions...........that's basically all she uses.

focadima
April 26th, 2011, 06:19 AM
you can buy these at Hobby Lobby too--not alot of flavors but some

I have the princess flavored one ( a citrus type flavor ) I also have almond

SugarMonkey
April 26th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I've been using emulsions and even recently used a tiny bit of flavored oil which turned out great. Ithought that royal icing wouldn't set up if oil was involved but I used the King Arthur Fiori di sicilia and got rave reviews - it didn't harden up as much as usual but was still hard enough to stack and package.

vtay
April 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
The funny thing is.......... Sugarbelle said her cookies were ruined b/c she used an orange extract w/ oil in it (I don't think it was an emulsion.....I think it was orange extract). However, Meghan's "royalish" icing and other buttercream/royals have a big glob of crisco in them. So it must be the KIND of oil. I have made the royalish icing many times and it sets up well for me.

I emailed Lorann after Sugarbelle posted that and asked them about their emulsions...she said NONE were made with oil. I use many of them.

I have the princess emulsion..............I'm kind of afraid to use it b/c it smells so unusual............is it a cookie dough flavor?

April 26th, 2011, 04:58 PM
you can buy these at Hobby Lobby too--not alot of flavors but some

I have the princess flavored one ( a citrus type flavor ) I also have almond

:( I'm in california, no hobby lobby here. I've been wanting to try the princess one, but they didn't have that one.

April 26th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I emailed Lorann after Sugarbelle posted that and asked them about their emulsions...she said NONE were made with oil. I use many of them.

That's good to know! I didn't see any oils listed in the ingredients, but they use the generic "natural and artificial flavors", and I wasn't sure if those included any oils.

I'm definitely going to have to try using it in my icing now!