PDA

View Full Version : How to make silver glaze

browneyes
May 23rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
I know you can paint with luster dust but can you just dump it in the glaze. Will it affect the glaze at all?

Anita1956
May 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
I occasionally do that with silver and gold. While you don't get much of the sparkle it gives it a deeper, richer color than I can get with americolor gel only.

browneyes
June 8th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I see so many views on this post but only one reply. Everyone must of thought I was say how to make silver glaze. : ) Well my next questions is what is the difference between, pearl dust, petal dust, and luster dust. Wilton makes the pearl and petal dusts and they both say to use them the exact same. Is there a silver food color I could just use. I think I saw somewhere that Americolor has some. I will have to check into that.

TheCuteCookie
June 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Everyone must have wanted to know how to make silver glaze and thought you were coming here with some profound wisdom :D

Here is the difference between each of the types of dust:

LUSTER DUSTS - Adds both colour and a metallic sheen.

PEARL DUSTS - Adds a pearl, iridescent shine with a hint of colour.

PETAL DUSTS - Adds colour, but not shine. These have a matte finish and provide a realistic finish to flowers.

To the best of my knowledge I don't think they actually make a silver food colouring (though that would be FABULOUS!!) and if you ever did find a source, I would love to know! :)

Anita1956
June 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM
No silver colors that I know about which is why you start with gray (a drop or two of black in whitened icing) and then either mix in some luster or pearl dust and/or brush with pearl dust when dry.