PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem weird?

cookielove
June 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
So, I got this e-mail last night.....I don't know this person at all. At first I was pretty excited that some random person found my blog and wanted to inquire about cookies, but now I'm a little skeptical. She didn't say where she lives or anything, so how does she even know if she lives by me? And why are she and her fiance planning the shower favors, not the person who is throwing the shower? I responded and told her my prices and I haven't heard back yet, but I just wonder if this seems strange to anyone else......or am I being paranoid? What do you guys think??

Hello,

My fiance and I are inquiring about your services for our co-ed wedding shower in August. We are wondering what you would charge for shower favors such as cookies individually wrapped for our guests. We actually stumbled across your blog and loved the photos! :)

Please let me know if this is something you can accommodate.

Kindest regards,
Alison

The Cookie Corner AZ
June 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
Co-ed showers seem to involve the couple more than a traditional bridal shower given by a girlfriend/mom etc.

She could be wanting favors as a "thank you" for their guests of the shower.

Go with your gut feeling. I have had two random people send me an email and I felt weird about both. One wanted samples of my cookies but wouldn't
give an address as to where to send them. She also said she got my email from a coworker but wouldnt tell me who then said she forgot who. I asked her exactly what she wanted so I could give her a quote and she never responded.

I had a weird feeling so I didnt really give her much info...i just just asked more questions and I guess it scared her off--YAY!

That is why I stick to making cookies for people I know or close friends of people I know.

PaintedCookie
June 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM
Sometimes people are just scouting for pricing. But I agree go with your gut feeling if you are not sure. Whenever I respond to an inquiry I am not sure about, I don't give any info, but reply asking for the event date, so I can "check my calendar" and their location. That helps weed out too.

tdodd00
June 23rd, 2011, 12:57 AM
I have had people email me about the price of my cookies and then not hear back...I am sure that they were not expecting the price I quoted! I seriously have to laugh...do they think "little fairies" come and decorate these cookies, if it were that easy why don't they just do it themselves?! I don't know what price you quoted, but I wouldn't give it a second thought...if they want them bad enough, they will notify you again!

Cookie Couture
June 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Usually when I don't hear back, it's pricing. I had one lady litterally drop her jaw when I quoted my cookies...I know she was looking for something fairly inexpensive for her class (she's a teacher)...she had no clue what time and and ingredients really cost. Needless to say I did NOT hear back from her...LOL

LilaLoa
June 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
It doesn't seem all that weird too me. I mean...people are just weird sometimes, you know? I live in Korea and people email me from all over asking about a cake or cookies without knowing my location or even caring it seems. And the best part....I don't even have a business. If you feel uncomfortable....trust that. If you are not legal....be careful. If it just seems odd....sometimes it is, but that doesn't always make it bad.

focadima
June 23rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
I have people who find me through a basic search for say ummm "swim cookies" they think since I have so many pics up that I must be advertising to sell..

cookielove
June 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys! I guess I am just being a little paranoid. :) Thanks for all your responses! Oh, and Terri......that made me laught--I wish I had some little fairies to come do the cookies sometimes!!! :)

Libby

DippinPops
June 23rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Since I am not legal I don't like getting calls from strangers, sometimes even when they are a referral - just makes me nervous. I would be cautious, and like everyone else said, give as little info as you can, and ask them some questions back before committing. Price usually scares them off if they have not actually seen or eaten your cookies - if they had, they would be more likely to pay the cost for such fine & delicious cookies!

juliessweets
September 28th, 2011, 05:11 AM
heheeheee...maybe it's just me, but the closing "kindest regards" is like a red flag for me - reminds me of those phishing emails from the president of suchandsuch who needs to deposit $$ into my bank account and then have me wire him money...

CookieDaydream
September 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM
i just got one today asking if i do samples, and what my prices are. she's only a few hours away, offered to pay for the samples, and was agreeable to my prices for completed dozens. it wont break the bank or ruffle my instincts to send 2 boring iced white circles for a tasting, but she's only one person, and she's been following my blog for a while, not some accidental google search. i dont think i want to be known for generosity with samples, especially if they dont mention any need for a full order (but she does, a deer-hunting husband's birthday) i'll do it, but i'm not going to make a habit of it, and if someone says "i heard you give free samples" my new response might have to be "not anymore"
i might only be agreeable to this because she said she tried someone else's sugar cookies and wasnt too impressed. so now i'm feeling like having a little cookie throw-down. :)

CookieTwoShoes
September 29th, 2011, 04:20 AM
You go CookieDaydream! Sounds like have a relationship already started with your blog follower so that's a big start. And you will certainly take down that other stale cookie with you fabulous confection!! Let us know how it turns out :)