PDA

View Full Version : Powdered sugar

TheRedCooky
July 13th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Sugarbelle's recipe got me playing in the kitchen with my sugar ratios. I have been trying to add a little powdered sugar to my recipe in place of some of the granualted. I get a softer cookie. But I think the humidity is messing with me. I swear after a day or two they are soggy. Is it crazy to think powdered sugar soaks in moisture more than the regular.

Sometimes I want to quit all this tweeking I am doing to the recipe becuase the humidity is probably skewing my results :(

So I think my question is, do you use powdered sugar in your dough and if so, do you think humidity affects it?

Thanks
Tiffany

The Cookie Corner AZ
July 13th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I do not use powdered sugar in my recipe.

frostedbylesley
July 13th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Nope, me neither. I know some people love it, but once I did the NFSC (with 1 tsp. baking powder) I never went back.

tdodd00
July 13th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I know that I don't want my cookies to be any softer...they are plenty soft now. From what I understand her recipe yields very fragile cookies and I don't need that either. I have just started using the NFSC recipe to control my spreading...so far it seems to be working.

TheRedCooky
July 13th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I was using NFSC recipe with 1 tsp baking powder. I removed all the bp from NFSC to combat spreading. While I had good/consistent results with no bp, I feel the cookie is soft, but too heavy or dense, if that makes sense. I tried a couple other recipes to see if I can control spreading but get a more bp soft vs no bp soft (dense/heavy) cookie. That is what lead me to using some powdered sugar to replace some of the granulated sugar. I agree, all powdered sugar gives to fragile of a cookie. I have tried 1/4-1/2c powdered sugar in replacement of that amount of granulated to see what it would yield. It is a fluffier cookie like with bp BUT I think it soaks moisture and gets soggy after a few days. So my search continues.

I wonder if I could play with NFSC (no bp) and decrease some of the flour while keeping the spread away. I was using 150 grams per cup with NFSC when I stopped using it. Weighing my flour has been huge at combating spread for sure. I still get quite a bit when I use bp, soda or c of t in any recipe. But I swear I can tell a difference in texture when I omit it entirely. I really think high humidity is affecting spread too. So doing all these scientific baking tests is probably a bad idea in high humidity season.

Thanks for the input so far.

So Cute Cookies
July 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I don't use powdered sugar in my dough either, my friend used it and reported back to me that it was too fragile and broke too easily. I use a recipe that my Wilton instructor gave me two years ago, its fast and simple, everyone loves it, very sturdy, no sifting, etc. I have tried many others and always come back to this recipe.
1 cup butter and 1 cup sugar creamed together, 2-3 minutes.
add 1 egg, 2 t. whatever flavor you like (vanilla, almond, butter extract or emulsions work fine) Mix
Then add 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 3 cups flour. No sifting or anything. I roll it and chill it, I have never needed flour on the cutters or board to cut them out... I like to work with chilled dough. Bake 7-9 minutes at 400 degrees. I have never had an issue with spreading with this recipe either.

tdodd00
July 13th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Wow, I guess this blows everyone's theory about not "creaming" these two together too (that's a lot of 2's, lol) long causing the spread. I have had several people tell me this could be the problem!

So Cute Cookies
July 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Terri:
I remember reading a tutorial by Karen
http://www.karenscookies.net/Dough-Prep-Mixing_ep_43-1.html
and she talked about the creaming of the butter/sugar until its light and fluffy, I think it makes a difference.. I don't know. It works for me, its simple, no sifting stuff together, I even made thousands of cookies with this recipe mixing it with an old (26 year old) hand mixer! I recently got a new stand mixer and WOW, what a time saver. :) Kris

rita
July 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I use the NFSC and would never dream of changing. I have never had any spread from this recipe. It scares me to death to even think of trying a different sugar cookie recipe. I have used the chocolate chip recipe and it worked good, but most of my customers prefer the NFSC over the Chocolate chip. I also think that the NFSC recipe combined with the RI is a perfect combination. They compliment each other, if that makes sense.

Good luck with your tweeking, Tiffany.

Rita

cookielove
July 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I tried Sugarbelle's recipe which uses powdered sugar, and while I LOVED the taste, they were way too fragile and I had several break (and they weren't even shaped with skinny parts or anything.....they were circles!) I wonder how she does it? Anyway, then I tried the NFSC and it's the only one I'll use now! Good luck with tweaking--maybe you'll find a good combo that will add softness and no sogginess!! Let us know :)

Libby

Sweet Creations
July 13th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I tried Sugarbelle's recipe which uses powdered sugar, and while I LOVED the taste, they were way too fragile and I had several break (and they weren't even shaped with skinny parts or anything.....they were circles!) I wonder how she does it? Anyway, then I tried the NFSC and it's the only one I'll use now! Good luck with tweaking--maybe you'll find a good combo that will add softness and no sogginess!! Let us know :)

Libby

Callye, lets her cookies sit for at least a day before icing.

cookielove
July 13th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Callye, lets her cookies sit for at least a day before icing.

So does that make them "harder" I guess? I wondered what she did differently! I really did love the recipe, and I loved how soft they were, but as soon as I tried to stack them on a platter several of them broke or crumbled. Maybe letting them sit for a while hardens them up.....

Libby

Sweet Creations
July 13th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Yes alittle. A fresher cookie is going to be softer.

Janis
July 29th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I only use powdered sugar in my cookies. Wouldn't change it ever. ;)

Nanny's Sugar Cookies
July 30th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I don't use powdered sugar in my dough either, my friend used it and reported back to me that it was too fragile and broke too easily. I use a recipe that my Wilton instructor gave me two years ago, its fast and simple, everyone loves it, very sturdy, no sifting, etc. I have tried many others and always come back to this recipe.
add 1 egg, 2 t. whatever flavor you like (vanilla, almond, butter extract or emulsions work fine) Mix
Then
add 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 3 cups flour. No sifting or anything. I roll it and chill it, I have never needed flour on the cutters or board to cut them out... I like to work with chilled dough. Bake 7-9 minutes at 400 degrees. I have never had an issue with spreading with this recipe either.
I also use the Wilton recipe. I use to be a Wilton instructor in the early 90's and have been using it ever since. I don't chill the dough and that is one of the reasons I love it so much, it also freezes nicely. I use to add almond extract, but stop doing so once I became an official business.

Ali
July 30th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I've used this recipe:

Cookies
2 sticks butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
2 1/2 cups flour
Pinch salt

The cookies tasted good, but if I remember correctly, they were flakier and more fragile.

Janis
August 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM
The recipe I use is:

2 sticks butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups sifted flour

makes about 40 cookies

Everyone comments on how delicious they are. They are a bit fragile, but yummy! :)