PDA

View Full Version : Please Pray for My Son and His Haiti Mission Team

cookiecrazie
May 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I'm kind of burdened today....and since my cookie friends are often like family.....I thought I would ask for your prayers.

My son, Neil, has been in Haiti for the last week for a Christian mission trip with his college. He finished his semester at school the first week of May, was home for two whole days, and then left for Haiti. (And by the way, I'm all for him going on any trips to share Jesus with others.)

This morning I got a call from him that they were in a serious truck accident yesterday. The truck rolled into a mountain and everyone was throw from the vehicle. He and his team members were all injured. Their only faculty advisor and a few others students were air vac-ed to a Miami hospital this morning. Praise God no one was critically injured, but it was VERY scary I'm sure.

Neil broke his nose, got stitches on his head (or on his face....I was not clear), and hurt his back. He was in a lot of pain when he called. He was coming with the rest of the team on the return flights that were originally planned for today and tonight. He will arrive here in St. Louis at 11:25 PM.

I'm SUPER grateful that they are all alive and no one was critically injured......but I'll feel so much better when I can see my son and have him safely home.

I already have a doctors appointment for him tomorrow morning so he can be checked over from head to toe. Haiti is not exactly on the top of the list for trauma medical care. :pale:

Thanks for hearing me out. I needed my cookie friends to know what was going on in my life. I appreciate your prayers.

Pam

focadima
May 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Oh my how scary--My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

SugarBeez
May 17th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Our prayers are with those that were medi-vaced out. The Lord was obviously with them if there were no deaths or critical injuries. I hope you son will be fine. He sounds like he was truly blessed!

Yadkin Valley Cookies
May 17th, 2010, 09:01 PM
My prayers are going up for him and his group to have a safe return and
clean bill from the doctor tomorrow!

tdodd00
May 17th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Thinking of you and your family, Pam. Prayers go out to your son for a speedy recovery and a safe return.

Jane Austin
May 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Dear Pam Im sure God is by his side cause you are close to God ... Im sure he will recover very fast because all of us are praying for him...Hope to hear good news from you soon ..May God protect you and your family always ..Eman

danijtt
May 17th, 2010, 10:06 PM
So sorry to hear - but his guardian angel was watching over him - you guys are in my prayers

mike
May 17th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Scary I'm sure! Glad it sounds like he'll be ok, and I hope the appointment checks out likewise.

Mike

Natalie
May 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Pam, what a mother fears, I and my family will keep you and your family in our prayers. God Bless

islandladypr
May 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I can imagine how you and your family must be feeling.. Thank God no one was seriously injured... Will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers...

cookiecrazie
May 18th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Thank you everyone. What a comfort to come back and see all of those who are praying for him. I appreciate it!

His friends say he should go to the ER as soon as he gets here. The Vicadin is holding the pain off, but there's some questions about how his nose was set and the deep stitches they had to put in his head. I'll feel much better when we have him completely looked over tonight at the hospital. I suspect I'll be up most of the night.

He still has to wait 2 more hours in Miami airport before he can head home. They tried to get an earlier flight, but to no avail. :(

He'll be home in just five hours......

You all are so kind. Thank you ever so much for your friendships and prayers.

Ladee_bugg
May 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hi Pam, I wish your son and his fellow travellers a speedy recovery. I am sure you were very happy to have him home and in your arms again.

Alibeebu
May 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hope he's feeling better soon. I'm sure he's glad to be home!

lisa k
May 18th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Pam - My thoughts and prayers go out to your son and to all those involved in the accident, along with all the families. I never underestimate the power of prayer! Speedy recovery to all.

Lisa K.

cookiecrazie
May 18th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks everyone so much. Neil is home! He arrived at the St. Louis airport at 12:15 AM this morning. We took him and the entire team immediately to the best hospital in the area and all of them were checked over in the ER. He is now sleeping the day away (which is fine with us) as he starts his recovery. Thank you so much for your prayers and well wishes. I appreciate them all.

Below is a recap I sent everyone when I got home early this morning.

I'm exhausted.....but thrilled to have Neil home. :)
Neil is home! He and his team arrived in St. Louis about 12:30 AM and HLG arranged for the whole team to go to St. John's Medical Center ER. Neil was the first to go in for treatment. The staff was the best and we were there for about 4 hours with everything taken care of in such an efficient and short amount of time. God is so good!

Neil looks terrible. He has stitches and staples in 5 or 6 places of his face and head. I have no idea how many he has.....but it is a lot. His face is huge swollen with his right eye swollen shut. He has cuts and road rash all over his upper body.

But after a near whole body CT scan, he only has a concussion, broken nose, fracture of transverse process of lumbar vertebra (which just means a small piece of his vertebra broke off in the lower back.....and the Dr said all that can be done about it is pain management), and tons of abrasions and road rash.

We were told the horrific tale of how they had 30+ people stuffed in a truck (all standing, of course) and as they came down out of the mountains, the truck's brakes went out and then the engine went out. The driver (the Haitian missionary) chose to bank the truck up into the mountain which threw everyone up to 60 feet away.....but the alternative would have taken them over a fatal cliff.

There are three students and Mrs. Brenemann still in a Miami hospital doing OK. We don't know the extent of their injuries, but they are not critical. Everyone here had no major injuries......mainly abrasions, sprains, etc.

It is truly a miracle that everyone made it out alive and that no one is in critical condition.

We just arrived home around 5:30 AM and Neil is in bed. He was SUPER sleepy after being up for 24 hours, traveling, and having morphine at the hospital. But now he is resting as comfortable as he can be. It is going to be a difficult few days as he endures the sore muscles and pain of all his injuries, but he is going to heal.

You can imagine our relief over his safe return to us and the good report from the ER. The Lord God is so good.....and we feel he has blessed us by sparing our son's life......as well as all his team members.

HLG has been tremendous to us. Dr Berg (HLG President) and Dr Hufty spent the night at the hospital ER with us. They have been such a support to all of us.

St. Johns Medical Center was superb! We couldn't have had a better experience there.

Thank you all for your love and prayer support. It was MOST evident. Allison and I talked about how there was peace when there shouldn't have been......and we stayed awake and alert even though we were exhausted and spent.

Praise the Lord God Almighty! He is our All and All.

TheBakehouseCookie
May 18th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Praise the Lord, indeed, Pam! May the Great Physician and Healer and the Prince of Peace continue to surround you and your family with His love and comfort and power, and may He continue to be glorified through you all and through these circumstances. He is in control!

Yael
May 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Pam.

cindy58
May 18th, 2010, 11:57 PM
My thoughts and prayers are also with you and your family, Pam! So good to hear that your son is home where he can receive the good care he needs to heal.

grammy
May 19th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Pam, I just read this thread, and am pleased with the news you can share with the update. Prayers are answered - I know that first hand. Praise God for you son's and his companions' safe return.

karen
May 20th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Pam, I am SO glad your son is ok and back home. I shudder to think of how it could have turned out. I'm so glad their group had guardian angels watching over them. I Hope he's getting lots of rest and will be healed up in no time. What an ordeal!

Bea
May 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Praying for all the mission team and for God to give you peace, Pam...

faithy
May 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Glad to hear that your son is ok. Praise the Lord. Prayers works wonder! :) Will keep your family in prayers.