PDA

View Full Version : SHIPPING No more--

The Cookie Corner AZ
September 16th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I think I'm done with shipping! I sent some cookies on Tuesday via USPS and they were suppose to be there today. The customer just emailed me to let me know they did not arrive and she's starting to panic (they're for a party on Saturday). I checked the tracking online and it did not show anything more than me checking them in at the post office on my end. I'm sure she'll get them tomorrow--my nerves are just frazzled! :eek:

I'm not sure it's worth the extra time and effort it takes to get them packaged and then the WAITING is killing me! And...will they arrive broken?:pray:

I've shipped "anxiety free" to my close friends all over the US where there wasn't a time frame AND they don't care if the cookies are broken. This one is a paying customer so it's different.

lmcgmsing
September 16th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I feel your anxiety!!!!!! Shipped out a large 'order' (non-paid) for my nephews 21st birthday. Actually, the anxiety for me is figuring out exactly how I want to package them so they will arrive looking nice. I was thinking the same thing.....is it worth the stress. SO much easier to hand them over in person to a client!!!! PLUS you get to see their facial expression which is always gratifying!! I said the cookiers "Our Father" on my way to the Post office yesterday. It was pretty funny (goofy) as it was made up by me.... I will say a little prayer for your cookies also before I go to sleep for the night.

Anita1956
September 16th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I think I'm done with shipping! I sent some cookies on Tuesday via USPS and they were suppose to be there today. The customer just emailed me to let me know they did not arrive and she's starting to panic (they're for a party on Saturday). I checked the tracking online and it did not show anything more than me checking them in at the post office on my end. I'm sure she'll get them tomorrow--my nerves are just frazzled! :eek:

I'm not sure it's worth the extra time and effort it takes to get them packaged and then the WAITING is killing me! And...will they arrive broken?:pray:

I've shipped "anxiety free" to my close friends all over the US where there's not time frame AND they don't care if the cookies are broken. This one is a paying customer so it's different.

Sunnygal,

I can't tell you what relief I feel that I'm no longer shipping orders to paying customers and if I do it's to friends and/or family that I know would be totally understanding if the cookies arrived broken. My sister ordered 120 wedding favors (big bird cage cookies) months ago for a friend's daughter and I'll be shipping them next week. She asked me on the phone the other day, "What happens if they arrive broken?" And I said, "I don't know. I only work on Plan A. Plan B through D is all yours"

PaintedCookie
September 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I switched to UPS so I could see the order traveling. I also pack my box in another box for cushioning. My stepbrother works for UPS and says every box will travel on a conveyor belt and can become a victim to the box behind them. I have to charge extra for shipping costs for my materials, but no one seems to mind. I know Laurie at Whimsy Cookie Co, posts on her site, she is not responsible for breakage once the box leaves her possession. Check out her site www.whimsycookieco.blogspot.com (http://http://www.whimsycookieco.blogspot.com/) Scroll down on the right and see what she has to say....

The Cookie Corner AZ
September 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Painted Cookie-
By "order traveling" do you mean you can see each location the box goes? So maybe USPS doesnt do that and my box IS really almost to its destination??? Im hoping thats the case. Thanks!

PaintedCookie
September 16th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Exactly, the Post Office doesn't have that feature. There is no way of knowing where your package is. And their Express (overnight) shipping is the only option they guarantee. They have failed me several times on that one, but will reimburse your shipping cost. I have become very close with my local UPS store and the owner has helped me on several issues and new exactly where my package was at every minute. I am not saying UPS is the best, but I want to know where my package is and traveling.

lmcgmsing
September 16th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Sunnygals.......Did my prayers work. Do you know if your cookies arrived. I was not able to track my package.....don't know why because I can track the letters I sent certified. But I called my sister and the package arrived, MOSTLY safe! She said 4 cookies broke and luckily, they were the ones I had made the most of. So USPS 'did me proud,' getting the package from Buffalo to Maryland in 2 days. When I get a few more minutes, I will actually post pictures in show and tell

Ruth D
September 17th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I ship USPS all the time and they have always delivered on time for me. You can't always go by the tracking information, though. That is not updated very often throughout the day.

I've done pretty well with having very little breakage. It's only happened with one order and two cookies broke out of over 100. I use a lot of bubble wrap and packing material. I also charge a minimum of $10 to ship one dozen and usually charge $12. If that's a deal stopper, they can't afford my cookies to begin with. I just had someone ask if I could not wrap the cookies (20 dozen) and just put them in large bags and ship them that way. Absolutely not! I'm not throwing my hard work in a bag and have them arrive in crumbs....and then get chewed out because they arrived broken. I don't like large orders. Too stressful. Too much work. Too many complications.

I generally pack my cookies in those pink pastry boxes and then put the pastry boxes in slightly larger corrugated box lined with large bubble wrap. Then I shake the box to make sure there is no movement from inside. You can drop kick those boxes and there will be no damage to the cookies inside.

**These football cookies came out the wrong color! The green is supposed to be gold...I had to redo the entire order and express ship it today, so the college kid will have the correct cookies for his tailgate party tomorrow before the football game. I didn't make any money off this order after doing all of that but I'm left with piece of mind and a happy customer. So, it was worth it in the end.

The Cookie Corner AZ
September 17th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Hmmm- I wrapped each favor in bubble wrap, then put in a cake box with peanuts, then placed in another box supported with peanuts.

Ruth- when you put them in the pink box, do you only use shred?

This order got me thinking about shipping- just not sure!

Janis
November 29th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Sunnygals, I have another business that I mail flat rate shipping boxes from my house via USPS. The boxes/envelopes are free and it has delivery confirmation (if you do it online). I mail packets out and use the flate rate shipping envelopes which cost 4.95 to mail plus delivery confirmation if you go to the P.O. When I do it at home it's only 4.75 INCLUDING delivery confirmation. That's also 2 day shipping. PLUS, they pick the package up from the house. Not sure if that helps, but just wanted to let you know.

Also...Thank you RUTH!!! I'm all stressed about my first shipping order...so your pictures and explination helped me soooo much! Thanks for the info!