PDA

View Full Version : Terrified with Shipping

Anita1956
September 22nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
I just finished 120 of these cookies. Took me I don't know how many hours but here's the rub. When I started packaging them for shipping this morning the candy clay birds started breaking. I considered that they'd be fragile but figured as long as they were laying flat on the cookie it would be okay. What I didn't take into account was the miniscule rise in the surface where I drew the wet on dry purple cage lines. That was just enough "lift" to allow space underneath to cause this mess.

So now I've just spent two hours ripping the birds off (and yes, there was considerable crying along the way) so that I can package them for OVERNIGHT shipping (this order is costing me big!) to Portland Oregon. I'm going to be there this weekend so when I arrive I'll make new candy clay birds and mount them while they're still pliable on the cookie so that way they'll form to the surface and there should be no problem. Then it's packaged in pillow boxes for the wedding.

My sister placed this order and as I told her this morning this completely confirms that I will never. Ever. Never. Ever. take another shipping order again. I'm finishing the ones out that I have (minus any candy clay detailing) and that's it. This has been a painful lesson and by the way, I've squeezed so much icing the past few days that the tips of two of my fingers are completely numb. Has that ever happened to anyone?

Off to the shipping place I go....

9939 9940

PaintedCookie
September 22nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
Anita these are beautiful! So sorry you had to rip off the birds before shipping. A big order like this is a lot of work, and add shipping, makes it even more! But shipping is definitely nerve racking, I now am charging a lot more for shipping with the attitude that it is going to cost to get them there safe and it takes a long time to package everything. Check out Cookies by design and see how much they charge for S&H! I have overnighted many orders in the past! Lots of lessons learned. But when family is involved, you will do anything for them. I know your sister is going to LOVE these cookies, they are truly works of art!

my3sons
September 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
I love them! So much detail!:clap: Bravo. I'll say a little prayer for their safe arrival (and yours, too)!:pray:

Sherie

cindy58
September 22nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
Sorry this happened to you! Hope after all that the cookies make it safely to their destination. Such a lot of work you've done.

Re numbness in the finger tips -- I had this happen to me last winter after I spent some time cutting fancy snowflakes from patterns. I had it in my right index finger tip. The numbness eventually subsided, but it took a looong time to go away -- several weeks into months. I thought it was a pretty silly way to maim myself, I'm glad it finally went away.

focadima
September 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
beautiful

so sorry about the birds

Anita1956
September 22nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
If the cookies end up getting there in one piece and the bride (the daughter of my sisters life-long friend) is happy then the hassle will be worth it but honestly from the start this was a nightmare order. The bride is young....couldn't decide on what design she wanted, changed her colors three times, and then added to it I had my sister involved which defies any explanation I could ever offer. So I told my sister I'm bringing up another full set of birds and some icing and it's going to be up to her to stick them on again, before bagging them in the self-seal bags and slipping them into the pillows which already have the top card attached. To which she replied, "maybe while you're up here you could just go ahead and do it" to which *!* replied, "Not. On. Your. Life." I'm fairly certain that if I were to ever see those cookies again I'd pull a "Linda Blair" right out of the Exorcist.

Okay, now I'm off to deliver an ADORABLE sweet sixteen order. In the car. On a platter. Sooooooooo easy!

lisa k
September 22nd, 2011, 10:45 PM
Anita - These are breathtaking. When I read your original post, my heart sank. I know too well that feeling after working on an order and having something break/crack. I'm keeping my fingers crossed your cookies arrive safely.

Annie
September 22nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
The cookies look amazing! You did a great job and I am sure they will love them!

Kimmier
September 23rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
Amazing....the cookies are amazing. I will pray that they arrive safely! Now...I have to ask...Anita I know you are a Glaze Gal....how did you get the details to be so "sharp and clean"? It seems like no matter how stiff I make my glaze, I always get some spread. Did you use a different icing for the detailing? Come on girl...spill it....I know how much you like to share with us all!

vtay
September 23rd, 2011, 12:10 AM
Anita:

Those are SO pretty..........that has happened to me (not on that many cookies) with royal icing transfers. Makes you want to cry...........

I am not familiar w/ candy clay....would cut out fondant have been as fragile? or is it the same thing?

They are lovely and I'm sure she is going to love them.

LAM
September 23rd, 2011, 12:46 AM
If it's any consolation, the cookies are GOREGOUS. Deep breaths.

Anita1956
September 23rd, 2011, 03:32 AM
Amazing....the cookies are amazing. I will pray that they arrive safely! Now...I have to ask...Anita I know you are a Glaze Gal....how did you get the details to be so "sharp and clean"? It seems like no matter how stiff I make my glaze, I always get some spread. Did you use a different icing for the detailing? Come on girl...spill it....I know how much you like to share with us all!

Kimmie,

Nope Kimmie, that's all glaze. I did the base coat and let it completely dry overnight before doing the detailing which I think helps. I did a thinner base coat (very close to 10 count) and the detailing was probably 18-20 count which a) was insanely hard to get in the bottles and b) is the reason three fingers on my right hand are numb and tingling from squeezing. I used a #2 on the cage lines and a #1 - #1.5 on the rest.

Doing detailing with glaze can still be iffy Kimmie. One day it works. One day it doesn't :)

Kimmier
September 23rd, 2011, 05:16 AM
Kimmie,

Nope Kimmie, that's all glaze. I did the base coat and let it completely dry overnight before doing the detailing which I think helps. I did a thinner base coat (very close to 10 count) and the detailing was probably 18-20 count which a) was insanely hard to get in the bottles and b) is the reason three fingers on my right hand are numb and tingling from squeezing. I used a #2 on the cage lines and a #1 - #1.5 on the rest.

Doing detailing with glaze can still be iffy Kimmie. One day it works. One day it doesn't :)

Thanks for the info Anita...I was scared you left the glaze world. I have detailing to do tomorrow night, so I will try a 18-20 count. I did the base coat tonight, so it will be good and dry. Fingers crossed that it will work. I am a bag only girl...I tried bottles, but had no luck. And if I forgot to mention it earlier, the cookies are AMAZING!

Anita1956
September 23rd, 2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the info Anita...I was scared you left the glaze world. I have detailing to do tomorrow night, so I will try a 18-20 count. I did the base coat tonight, so it will be good and dry. Fingers crossed that it will work. I am a bag only girl...I tried bottles, but had no luck. And if I forgot to mention it earlier, the cookies are AMAZING!

I totally love glaze and have NO intention of switching to anything else. Were I to do a project with a lot of writing then I might doing the writing with royal icing and actually I had debated doing that with this cookie but the glaze really came through so I'm sticking with what I know :)

LilaLoa
September 23rd, 2011, 12:07 PM
These are STUNNING cookies. And I have to say...I can NEVER believe the amount of time, love, effort.....etc that you go through for nearly every single cookie you make! You are amazing!

hctreats
September 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Those cookies are just amazing! Sorry for the frustrations you've encountered with them....

DippinPops
September 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Oh, Anita, those are gorgeous! I am so sorry for your troubles... I always wondered how candy clay would hold up on top of icing - I usually put it only directly on the cookie when it is still warm but would love to do some 3-D with it. I'm sure all will be wonderful in the end - I can't believe you were asked to put them together when you got there after what must have been days and days and days of hard work already!

Anita1956
September 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Oh, Anita, those are gorgeous! I am so sorry for your troubles... I always wondered how candy clay would hold up on top of icing - I usually put it only directly on the cookie when it is still warm but would love to do some 3-D with it. I'm sure all will be wonderful in the end - I can't believe you were asked to put them together when you got there after what must have been days and days and days of hard work already!

Michelle, I think my sister only asked me to re-apply the birds myself because she's afraid of messing them up and normally I wouldn't want/let anyone else to finish them up. It's just that my sister is such a perfectionist (more than me!) I know she'll do fine.

DippinPops
September 23rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Michelle, I think my sister only asked me to re-apply the birds myself because she's afraid of messing them up and normally I wouldn't want/let anyone else to finish them up. It's just that my sister is such a perfectionist (more than me!) I know she'll do fine.

Whew...glad to hear that... You always have so much on your plate, and do everything already with a big heart...! :happy:

Anita1956
September 25th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Here's the update. I shipped 120 cookies UPS in five large USPS priority mail boxes that were shipped floating in three larger boxes surrounded by packing peanuts. In the interior boxes I layered the cookies three deep with a layer of big bubble wrap between each plus on the top and bottom. The end result were 3 broken beyond repair, 6 required a little TLC, and the rest were fine!!! And because I couldn't bare trying to explain to my sister how to apply the second batch of doves to the cookies, tonight I removed the cookies from their double bags, brushed any loose crumbs off, reapplied the new doves, packed individually in self-sealing cello bags (away from home and my heat sealer), showed my sister how to slip them into the presentation pillows with a bit of purple crinkle paper, dusted off my hands, tipped my hat, and said goodbye and goodnight to one of the most bizarrely frustrating cookie orders of my as yet short little cookie career. Yabba Dabba Dooooo!

So Cute Cookies
September 25th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I think that is the prettiest cookie I have seen in a long long time! Absolutely stunning! You are so talented. I am sure she will be thrilled with such a lovely cookie.
I am sorry you had such a problem shipping them and glad that they did arrive safely. What an ordeal! And to think you did 120 of them.. No wonder your fingers are numb, I am surprised your hands and arms aren't numb too!
Kris

PaintedCookie
September 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
You are a good sister! Glad everything worked out!

DippinPops
September 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I am happy for you that it all worked out - I'm sure everyone loved them ; ).

Pastry
October 1st, 2011, 11:51 PM
Your cookies are beautiful !!!!

Pastry

SugarFairy
October 2nd, 2011, 01:29 AM
Those cookies are absolutely amazing!!! I wouldn't even let anyone eat them!!!! Much to pretty....I hope to be able to get my cookies to eventually look half as beautiful....kudos Anita on a job well done!!!!

Anita1956
October 2nd, 2011, 05:22 AM
And after all the hassle, this is what makes it all worthwhile! By the way, I had NO idea she was going to do that wonderful display and the tribute to my brother which totally takes the sting out of redoing those crazy doves.

10013 10014 10015

Anita1956
October 2nd, 2011, 05:24 AM
Those cookies are absolutely amazing!!! I wouldn't even let anyone eat them!!!! Much to pretty....I hope to be able to get my cookies to eventually look half as beautiful....kudos Anita on a job well done!!!!

Roxanne, If I can learn to make cookies, anyone can! I never could draw a stick figure to save my life.

Kimmier
October 2nd, 2011, 05:30 AM
I am soo glad it all went well. Can I just say "THOSE COOKIES ARE HUGE" They are beautiful, but looking at the earlier pictures you posted, they looked like medium or large cookie, but those birdcages are big!

I have to ask, I have admired you cookies for a long time, Are those the typical size of your cookies? You are able to put such details on your cookies, and find myself in a struggle to get that much detail on my cookies, but my cookies are typically about 3 inch cookies. Am I just working with too small of a cookie?

DippinPops
October 2nd, 2011, 06:33 AM
OMG they ARE huge! It would have taken me forever just to bake them, not to mention how many batches of dough and icing, and decorating! You are amazing Anita! (beautiful presentation, too!)

CindyW
October 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
What a nice tribute! Makes it all worthwhile!

Anita1956
October 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Kimmie and Michelle, those are NOT the typical size of my cookies! They ended up being ginormous but that was the size of the bird cage cutter so that's what I ended up with. I rolled, cut and froze the dough a couple days in advance which is what I typically do these days. Most of them didn't spread at all but I had a few that spread off the charts! There were a couple that were so huge they didn't end up fitting in the pillows which my sister was then happy to eat while packing them for presentation :)

Michelle, I think it took 10 double batches of a modified version of the standard NFSC recipe :)

DippinPops
October 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
GULP! Wow, that's a lotta dough! My largest order so far has been 5 batches of what is really a 1/2 recipe of NFSC (150 oz) - you never cease to amaze!

my3sons
October 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Anita, those are beautiful! Thanks for posting the pictures of them on display and with the couple. And what a wonderful tribute to your brother!

Sherie

Vicki
October 2nd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Gorgeous! That's all....you are amazing!

Vicki