PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a source for edible images?

CindyW
October 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I have a request for 120 cookies with a logo on them.

Is is possible to email a logo and have it printed on edible image paper?

I was going to ask Santa for a printer for christmas, but the ink is so expensive, I really
don't know if I want one.

If you have a printer, what kind do you have?

linedancer
October 28th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I have a Canon MX860 and buy my icing sheets and ink from icingimages.com Icing Images will print eis for you and sometimes Debbie can recommend someone in your area to help you out.They are good folks!

Love to be able to do what ever images I want to. Here is a pic of some containers I picked up at Christmas time and made the cookies to match.

apronqueen
October 28th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I also have the MX 870 and buy icing sheets from icingimages or kopykake, I did the truck logo last week that I posted.

Jeri
November 3rd, 2011, 06:14 AM
What a cute idea! Mind if I steal...ummm, I mean BORROW it?

Donna Bailey
November 3rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
I have a Canon MX860 and buy my icing sheets and ink from icingimages.com Icing Images will print eis for you and sometimes Debbie can recommend someone in your area to help you out.They are good folks!

Love to be able to do what ever images I want to. Here is a pic of some containers I picked up at Christmas time and made the cookies to match. Those are just darling, linedancer!!!! :clap:

Kimbo's Cookies
November 3rd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I've bought images from sellers on Etsy. I love Etsy.com because I like to support "the little guy."

linedancer
November 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your kind words, they were lots of fun to do. I got these at the dollar tree a couple of years ago, haven't seen any there since. They have the nice round containers, but they are in red, gold, and silver. I think I might still use the images, print and cut one of them from cardstock to put on the lid of the red, gold or silver containers and offer them for sale this year. I sure do wish I could find some more of the ones with the pics on them though!! And yes, anyone can steal mmm..borrow the idea. Good luck on finding the containers, and if you do, please let me know where. Thanks.

So Cute Cookies
January 9th, 2012, 03:43 AM
If I have no plans to buy an edible image printer but want to buy a sheet with a specific logo printed on them, where would I go to have that done? A bakery or a cake supply store? I have never used them but would like to try them out on an order I got from a friend. Would I print off the logo I need and they would make a sheet of them? Sorry to sound ignorant about them, but have never used them.

So Cute Cookies
January 9th, 2012, 04:13 AM
I found a source online called fairytaleweddingstore.com and they quoted 8.99 per sheet of 12 and 5.98 to ship. Is that a comparable price or should I look around? . I checked etsy and ebay and didnt see the logo for sale that I need. (Juicy Couture)
Kris

finalstopforme
January 9th, 2012, 12:07 PM
OK, I just have to ask. What does an edible image taste like? I have seen some pretty cool things done and I can think of many more, but all I can think of is chewing on paper when I was a kid! Does the paper dissolve or what?

Curious minds want to know!

Sue

lmcgmsing
January 9th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I use edibleimages.net. They are quick, nice and usually give me a few extra images in case I have mistakes. I have used the edible paper images AND the icing sheets. The images on the icing sheets come out cleaner and crisper so they are worth the extra dollar. (You will find this 'upgrade' when you fill out the order information. You just upload the images and they do the work. Lots of sizes and shapes to choose from. I have not looked around or tried other companies and I am sure that a local bakery may be able to help you out as well. Let me know if you use a different source as I would love to compare.

These were done for my sister's 50th birthday....they were the hit of the party. I think she was about 4 in the photo.

linedancer
January 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Hi, Sue. Edible images have virtually no taste or mouth feel, especially on cookies. It doesn't really dissolve, maybe soften a bit, it is more like it is just not there, hard to describe.. Be sure and get the edges down firmly. I use fondant as icing, so, of course it is dry when I apply the ei. There is another thread running here about whether to apply the ei on wet or dry icing. Consensus is if you put it on wet, the edges curl. Advice is to let your cookies dry, then apply the ei with a mix of corn syrup and water, which is how I apply it to fondant. Whatever you apply it with, be careful not to get the front of the ei wet, or dripped on, it smears immediately.

Cute cookies, Imcgmsing, I bet your sister loved you!!

infinitsky
January 9th, 2012, 02:13 PM
As linedancer said icing sheets do not have any particular taste especially on the cookie (royal icing or fondant covered). If you eat a small piece by itself it is bland but on the cookie it is tasteless. They are almost like a sheet of tasteless cotton candy.
Rice paper is tasteless too but IMO does not dissolve as fast as icing sheets. I prefer icing sheets over rice paper.
If I need a picture printed, I will take it to my local cake supply store and they do it for me. Some stores do not print copy right protected pictures (some Disney characters and etc.) I heard that even bakeries in supermarkets will do that for you. I am not sure if you have to buy a cake from them or not.
The price in my area is between $7 - $8.50 per sheet.
I personally had no problem using the cut images on the wet royal icing.

So Cute Cookies
January 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I use edibleimages.net. They are quick, nice and usually give me a few extra images in case I have mistakes. I have used the edible paper images AND the icing sheets. The images on the icing sheets come out cleaner and crisper so they are worth the extra dollar. (You will find this 'upgrade' when you fill out the order information. You just upload the images and they do the work. Lots of sizes and shapes to choose from. I have not looked around or tried other companies and I am sure that a local bakery may be able to help you out as well. Let me know if you use a different source as I would love to compare..

Thank you so much! They were a few dollars cheaper than the place I found. I will call my local cake supply place this morning to compare too. It is a copyrighted image, the place I found at fairytaleweddingstore.com had no problem with that, they sent me an example of what it looked like on the cookie. I need 45 favors and was thinking of 1-2 dozen logos mixed in with purses, and other sweet 16 theme cookies. The picture of the cake she is doing is amazing and she asked me to do cookie favors to match. I did tell her I don't have a projector or copier to do the logo but could do colors etc to match and she is fine with that. She is my close friend and knows my work. But if I could do a few logo cookies with edible images in the mix it would be great. Thanks again.
Kris

bonniebakes
January 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I've worked with the folks at icing images for specific logos and they are really great (and customer service is fantastic) They're not too far from you, either - located in VA.

So Cute Cookies
January 10th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Update: So I called my local cake supply stores around town and they directed me to a local lady who does them for $8.00 a sheet. I emailed her the logo and she will print them today and I can get them tomorrow. I am so excited I can get them locally. I can't wait to work with them and see the results! She said for 2 inch logos she can get 15 to a sheet... I only need 20-24 so I will have a few to play around with applying them on wet icing, dry icing with corn syrup and water brushed on, and with and without a border to see which way I like them... I am so excited to try something different.. I will post them next week when I do them.
Kris

DippinPops
January 11th, 2012, 02:31 AM
So far no luck finding a cake supply store around here - going to try grocery stores next - my Jewel bakery isn't very friendly sometimes and when they do sell my any sort of supplies, they charge a lot. Crossing my fingers - otherwise I'll be testing someone out on Etsy who will do it for $7.99 plus $3 shipping. Thanks for all the info everyone!

focadima
January 11th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Michelle the cake store kinda sorta by me

delicious creations sells the sheets--BUT when you factor in time to travel and gas costs I am guessing that etsy might still be cheaper ( If you plan ahead!)

delicious creations is maybe 5 minutes off of 294 95th st exit on roberts road

DippinPops
January 11th, 2012, 03:40 PM

delicious creations sells the sheets--BUT when you factor in time to travel and gas costs I am guessing that etsy might still be cheaper ( If you plan ahead!)

Yeah, would probably spend more on gas & tolls! My printer could be converted since its a compatible model, but I hear too many horror stories, and i don't think DH would enjoy fixing it all the time. (Although, when he's home everything always works fine - its just when he's away that things go wrong lol!)

DippinPops
January 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Oh, another question... I know there are wafer/rice papers (which I have no clue how that would be on a cookie, so not going there), and edible image sheets (which I just used, kinda like paper but melded with the icing - you could probably peel it if you really tried), but is there a different kind? Is an icing or frosting sheet the same thing?

infinitsky
January 14th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Oh, another question... I know there are wafer/rice papers (which I have no clue how that would be on a cookie, so not going there), and edible image sheets (which I just used, kinda like paper but melded with the icing - you could probably peel it if you really tried), but is there a different kind? Is an icing or frosting sheet the same thing?

I guess icing sheet and frosting sheet are the same thing. Frosting sheet is adhered to another paper (kind of like a laminated photo paper) and It is much easier to peel if the sheet stays in freezer for a few minutes.

Jill W.
January 15th, 2012, 08:33 PM

I went to my local Walmart today and asked the bakery if they print icing sheets - and they do! The best part is, they charge $3.80 a sheet. I haven't heard of anyone who charges that little. I've never used edible images before but I have an order coming up next week that I might give this a shot. They said if I wanted a trademarked image, they can still do it but I would need to bring in a printed image (instead of a image on a flash drive). I would have to sign a copyright release form and they keep the printed up image that I bring in. Otherwise if it's a personal picture, I can bring in the actual picture or pictures on a flash drive.

I have no idea if all Walmarts do this - I live near Chicago and went to the Walmart in Hodgkins by Joliet/LaGrange Roads.

focadima
January 15th, 2012, 09:20 PM
wow --we live rather close! :)

DippinPops
January 16th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I went to my local Walmart today and asked the bakery if they print icing sheets - and they do! The best part is, they charge $3.80 a sheet. I haven't heard of anyone who charges that little. I've never used edible images before but I have an order coming up next week that I might give this a shot. They said if I wanted a trademarked image, they can still do it but I would need to bring in a printed image (instead of a image on a flash drive). I would have to sign a copyright release form and they keep the printed up image that I bring in. Otherwise if it's a personal picture, I can bring in the actual picture or pictures on a flash drive.

I have no idea if all Walmarts do this - I live near Chicago and went to the Walmart in Hodgkins by Joliet/LaGrange Roads.

WOW! I need to check into that! Does that price include the icing sheet or do you have to supply it? That's great!

Jill W.
February 1st, 2012, 10:30 PM
WOW! I need to check into that! Does that price include the icing sheet or do you have to supply it? That's great!

Sorry, I just saw your post. I didn't think to ask if it included the icing sheet. I assumed that it did - she didn't say specifically though. Did you get a chance to check your Walmart?

Linda
February 1st, 2012, 11:31 PM
I had my local grocery store bakery print a sheet for me before for 7.00. I hope they can still do that, because I need the same design again in about a month!

My "local" cake supply is about the same price, just 45 min each way!!!

DippinPops
February 3rd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Sorry, I just saw your post. I didn't think to ask if it included the icing sheet. I assumed that it did - she didn't say specifically though. Did you get a chance to check your Walmart?

No, I haven't been there but will for sure when I go. I would call, but think I will have better luck asking in person : )