PDA

View Full Version : CK gel color experience?

LAM
November 4th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Has anyone used the CK gel colors? I needed navy (after trying unsuccessfully to make my own), but the store I go to for supplies was out of the Americolor navy. They only had the CK brand. I need it for next weekend, but am slightly afraid of how the icing will dry. If you have experience (good or bad) with CK gels, please share! I guess I am most worried about blotching...

gknee
November 5th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I saw them on Amazon.com. You can have it delivered in a few days.

LAM
November 5th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I have the color (I bought the CK one already). I like to make and mix my icing in advance (and I am anti-paying shipping) :) . I was just curious to know if anyone has had experience with the CK brand - I had never seen them before until this week.

linedancer
November 5th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I have a couple of greens from them that are OK, so maybe your navy will be fine. But had also bought daffodil and flesh and did not like them! They faded out in the jar, making them unusable, after a time. I usually like CK products and visit there when I am around Ft Wayne, but not crazy about their colors. Now having said that about their color gels, love their luster dusts..

frostedbylesley
November 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I bought the CK Navy and love it! Ended up getting 3 jars. You do need quite a lot, and you need to let it sit for a bit before it takes on a true navy, but it's great. And I am with you on the pain of DIY navy. It never works, and causes swearing in the kitchen!!

These were made with CK Navy.

LAM
November 6th, 2011, 02:05 AM
THANK YOU Lesley!!!

lov2bake
February 26th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I just started with icings and noticed that Americolor was the brand most people like. However, I bought CK not long ago and boy was I ever sorry! I love CK for just about everything but the color gels were a real mess. They come in jars and have a seal that is really hard to get off. Then I had to use toothpicks to add colors to the icing. How I was wishing for dropper bottles instead! I had color everywhere but I'm glad I read here somewhere to cover the work area completely when using color.