PDA

View Full Version : I Froze My Royal Icing and . . .

CookieTwoShoes
November 20th, 2011, 08:23 PM
It worked GREAT!!!! :clap: Don't let anybody tell you otherwise!! I have been so skeptical about doing this, but was so tired of wasting icing and always starting coloring from scratch that I decided I had nothing to lose. So I took the plunge and was soooo glad I did.

So here's what ya do. After you finish with a set of cookies. Squirt out the remnants of each color into either a small rubbermaid type of plastic container and cover the top with either Saran wrap or waxed paper just to seal it off from the air, or put it into a freezer ziplock bag and squish it flat and throw into the freezer. Then the next time you need to mix up colors choose first from what you have frozen and set it out on the counter. It will come to room temp in about 15 minutes. Then stir it around your rubber spatula to get it all smooth and go from there.

Last week this saved me tons of time - and money. I was able to pull four of the six colors I need for a platter from the freezer. Three of the four were already great on tint - I just added some sifted powdered sugar to thicken up a bit for some details. The fourth color (a mossy green) I used for the base of another fall green. Then I used a large tub of frozen white to mix up my remaining two colors. No waste, faster mixing, and no having to whip up a fresh new batch just for a cup more short. And when I was finished I froze all the bits again. Easy peasey!

Carrie
November 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I also but some in the freezer last week, so glad to hear how well it worked i will be pulling mine out tonight.

hctreats
November 20th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Glad it worked so well for you! I read that tip here and have been doing it this way for a while now too. It has made decorating so much easier!!

CindyW
November 20th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Glad it's working for you! I always freeze mine and have no problems. If I only have a little of each color left, I'll squeeze them all into one bowl making an ugly pukey grayish brown color, but it gives me a head start
on making black with using less black food coloring.

frostedbylesley
November 21st, 2011, 03:31 AM
I actually find the frozen RI to be smoother! Glad it worked out.

kells1166
November 21st, 2011, 04:03 AM
great tip cindy, i freeze mine too, but never thought to mix all the little stuff together. i'll try that the next time.

Lisa2416
November 21st, 2011, 09:59 PM
You have convinced me to give this a try! Sounds like a real money saver.