PDA

View Full Version : Two things I learned last week...

frostedbylesley
February 6th, 2012, 11:39 PM
1. Argo baking powder s**ks! It was on clearance at Jewel last week so I bought some, thinking "how much of a difference can baking powder make". Ummmm, huge. My cookies were a hot mess from that stuff. They about exploded in the oven.

2. (Not sure where this belongs) This should have been obvious to me! I roll my dough between two parchment sheets. I had always peeled off the top layer of parchment, and left the dough slab stuck to the bottom sheet. Last week, I peeled off the bottom sheet, then stuck the dough back on, before I cut out my cookies. The bottoms of my cookies turned out so much smoother when I peeled off the bottom parchment sheet.

katydoescookies
February 6th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Probably why it was on clearance....

Interesting about the parchment. Would never have thought of that. Thanks! --Katy

Jill W.
February 7th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Too funny! I did the same thing last week with peeling off the bottom sheet of parchment before using the cutter. And thought.... DOH! I thought I was the only one :)

tdodd00
February 7th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I always roll my dough between two sheets of parchment paper as well...but you are losing me. You take the top sheet off, I get that. Then do you flip the dough over to take the bottom sheet off? If so, then what do you do?! Do you flip it back over and lay it back down on the parchment paper? Maybe i need to be more concerned about the bottom of my cookies...they look good enough to me, lol!

Sweet Creations by Debbie
February 7th, 2012, 01:28 AM
That's a great idea on the parchment. I never thought about that. I guess it would make it easier to lift off the cookie, so the spatula wouldn't scrape along it as much. I'll definitely try it tomorrow!

frostedbylesley
February 7th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I always roll my dough between two sheets of parchment paper as well...but you are losing me. You take the top sheet off, I get that. Then do you flip the dough over to take the bottom sheet off? If so, then what do you do?! Do you flip it back over and lay it back down on the parchment paper? Maybe i need to be more concerned about the bottom of my cookies...they look good enough to me, lol!

Yes, I flip the dough over. Then I put the dough back on the bottom parchment sheet and cut away! This way, the cookies just slide right out of the cut shapes when I pull them off the parchment. Make sense?

DippinPops
February 7th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Lesley I agree with BOTH things! Once the only thing I changed was the BP (Argo) and it was awful!

I also peel the bottom parchment as well 'cause sometimes it would look wrinkly - not anymore : ). And if for some reason they are wrinkly, and the shape is the same upside down, I leave the smooth side on the bottom 'cause the icing covers it. I never would have thought to post this tip but it's a good one!

focadima
February 7th, 2012, 03:26 PM
am I the only cookie person who rolls my dough out on a counter--LOL no parchment--( I actually have a marble slab ( had it since we got married) that I use)

Jill W.
February 7th, 2012, 03:59 PM
am I the only cookie person who rolls my dough out on a counter--LOL no parchment--( I actually have a marble slab ( had it since we got married) that I use)

I roll it on parchment because then I refrigerate the dough for several hours on the parchment.

focadima
February 7th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I make my dough--roll my dough, cut shapes place on pan, (omg NO parchment here either--LOL) THEN chill before they go in the oven

DippinPops
February 7th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Lisa you're a REBEL!

focadima
February 7th, 2012, 08:06 PM
that I am :)

bonniebakes
February 7th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I guess I'm an outlier... I roll mine between sheets of waxed paper, then take the top layer off, cut the cookies and then remove them form the bottom layer of waxed paper and onto a parchment lined baking pan.

CindyW
February 7th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I guess I'm an outlier... I roll mine between sheets of waxed paper, then take the top layer off, cut the cookies and then remove them form the bottom layer of waxed paper and onto a parchment lined baking pan.

I do the exact same thing.

SugarDotCookies
February 8th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Shew! Just had to check my pantry to see if I was using Argo. Thankfully that's the cornstarch, not the BP.

I roll my dough between sheets of plastic wrap.

Who's the rebel now? :)

frostedbylesley
February 8th, 2012, 06:13 AM

I was out of parchment at home (made some photo cookies) and used waxed paper. Not too shabby! :D

CookieChick
February 9th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I roll out on wax paper, peel both sides, cut shape & bake on silpat. I'm too cheap to buy that much parchment paper.

focadima
February 9th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I was at restaurant depot a few nights ago and was contimplating buying precut parchment--becuase I feel like due to peer pressure I should be using it :)

limejuicesweettreats
February 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I was at restaurant depot a few nights ago and was contimplating buying precut parchment--becuase I feel like due to peer pressure I should be using it :)

A large roll at Costco is less than $6 for a roll of 205 sq ft (15 in x 164 ft). Much more economical than purchasing the rolls at the grocery store or from Wilton:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11711523

Sweet Creations by Debbie
February 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
A large roll at Costco is less than $6 for a roll of 205 sq ft (15 in x 164 ft). Much more economical than purchasing the rolls at the grocery store or from Wilton:
I have been searching my costco for months and finally around the holidays they had it. I bought two rolls that should last me a LONG time! Much better deal!

So Cute Cookies
February 9th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thank you so much for the link, I look at my Costco all the time and never see it there, I never thought of buying it online from Costco. I use parchment for everything, that is way cheaper than the rolls I buy at Winco or Walmart.

cindy58
February 9th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I roll and cut just like bonniebakes and CindyW.

This is where I buy parchment paper, she emails sale codes occasionally.

http://thebakingqueen.com/parchment-paper/parchment-paper-list/

jade8
February 10th, 2012, 05:48 AM
i got this tip from here im sure but cant remember who mentioned it. i got those really thin cutting boards from the dollar store and roll my dough between 2 of them. i usually make the dough ahead of time and freeze it. i put the mats into zip top bags and straight into the freezer for when i need them. when ready i take out and peel the top mat off and cut right on the mat and they come off the bottom with no problem right onto the cookie sheet. it saves on the parchment. i find gingerbread to be more sticky so i need to flour the mats before rolling out the gingerbread.

Jill W.
February 10th, 2012, 06:20 AM
i got this tip from here im sure but cant remember who mentioned it. i got those really thin cutting boards from the dollar store and roll my dough between 2 of them. i usually make the dough ahead of time and freeze it. i put the mats into zip top bags and straight into the freezer for when i need them. when ready i take out and peel the top mat off and cut right on the mat and they come off the bottom with no problem right onto the cookie sheet. it saves on the parchment. i find gingerbread to be more sticky so i need to flour the mats before rolling out the gingerbread.

I'll have to check out my Dollar Store - love this idea!