PDA

View Full Version : Ugh!!! I should have known!

trishalynn0708
February 11th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I have been wanting to make cookies for a few days.. I decided to make valentine's day cookies for my oldest son to take to school on Tuesday and I wanted to bake the cookies today so that I could decorate them tomorrow, let them dry over night and package them on Monday.. Wellll, when my cookie dough formed more of a pizza dough consistency I should have figured that thing's would go wrong.. I am really glad that I saved out 15 cookies for my son for school on Tuesday and the disaster that happened hopefully won't happen to those cookies when I decorate them tomorrow..

First of all, I used the Wilton squeeze bottles for the first time.. NEVER again. They are so hard to control and make it hard to get an even line and having to water the consistency down of my icing so it came out of the bottle was a pain and I got them too runny... After the bottle top of my red icing popped off I decided to hand the cookie decorating task over to my kids....

This is what their cookies came out looking like.. They taste good and my kids had fun.. =)

katydoescookies
February 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Well..we all started somewhere..a lot of live and learn goes on around here. Thanks for sharing. Kids look like they are having a good time. I use the squeeze bottles with tips, and use my wilton tips on them. Karen's has them in 4 and 8 oz. I have a few Wilton bottles but use them only when I have large areas to flood and a lot of cookies. I use bags for detail. Try again it will get better. --Katy

The Cookie Corner AZ
February 11th, 2012, 09:27 PM
So sorry to hear about your mishaps! Trust me, we've all had them (and still do)!
I like my consistency like thick honey. It stays put when outlining but also spreads smooth when flooding.

It will get easier! I can almost promise!

Since I had a bazillion hearts to flood today, I tried the larger bottles from Karens for the first time and while it was great not refilling a small bottle every few minutes, it was too big for me.

trishalynn0708
February 11th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I should have figured that my next batch of cookies wouldn't turn out as good as my first ever glazed cookies I made last week.. Everything went so smoothly and I couldn't believe how easy it was to decorate cookies and now this!!!!!! haha.... I am going to hope for the best for my cookies I am making tomorrow for my son to take to school for Valentine's Day... Thanks for your encouragement, girls!!!! =)

So Cute Cookies
February 12th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Since I had a bazillion hearts to flood today, I tried the larger bottles from Karens for the first time and while it was great not refilling a small bottle every few minutes, it was too big for me.
Have you tried the 6oz bottles with the couplers from Sur La Table... They are the perfect size! I agree the 8oz Wiltons are too big.

cindy58
February 12th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Your kids crack me up decorating in their little print undies!

I use glaze to decorate. These are the bottles that I like to use, they are much easier on the hands than the big bottles, for adults and kids alike. The coupler allows you to use different size tips.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/candy-making-supplies/squeezit-mold-painter-set/39/582/614/619471/

The same company also has a great selection of reasonably priced cookie cutters, many sprinkles and sugars, and americolor gels.

barbieitch
February 12th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I use the bottle with the couplers also. I do have the large bottles but I only use those for flooding the cookies. I cut the tip off to make the opening bigger and boy does that help. As for the mishap you had with the top coming off, it happens to all of us. I just had it happen 2 nights ago. You just gotta laugh it off and keep going. I think if you keep at it with the bottles you'll learn to love them. Cute pic of your kids. They look like they're having so much fun!

Jeri
February 12th, 2012, 05:59 AM
If your children had fun then it wasn't a disaster at all! Chances are, they will remember these cookies long after they've forgotten all the perfect ones you'll make!

trishalynn0708
February 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Thank you, everyone for your tips on the squeeze bottles and the recommendations. I am for sure going to look into them!!! And my kids had a blast! I always make extra cookies for them but I put their colors and what not other bags and only give them a few colors.. But after my cookies didn't look the best after I made them I probably should have just packed them up to decorate today, but I didn't... Just wasn't a good decorating day for me yesterday I guess.. =) But my kids always help and have their own cookies to decorate and eat.. i was making these cookies for my husband to take to work, didn't turn out that way, I am going to give them another go today. =)

trishalynn0708
February 12th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Your kids crack me up decorating in their little print undies!

I use glaze to decorate. These are the bottles that I like to use, they are much easier on the hands than the big bottles, for adults and kids alike. The coupler allows you to use different size tips.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/candy-making-supplies/squeezit-mold-painter-set/39/582/614/619471/

The same company also has a great selection of reasonably priced cookie cutters, many sprinkles and sugars, and americolor gels.

LOL!!! my kids NEVER wear clothes.. If we go to the store quick or if we are gone most of the day, as soon as we get into the door their shoes come off first, then socks, then pants and they just work their way up.. haha.. They have both been like that since they were babies.. I have grown so used to it that i don't even think twice about it anymore..

DippinPops
February 13th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Lol! Cute! I have the Wilton bottles but don't use them for cookies - I use the ones with couplers - 8oz and 2oz sizes, although I wish there was a 4oz! Sometimes the 8oz is too big for me, but the 2oz doesn't hold enough icing when flooding. I need a trip to SLT for those 6oz ones! Better luck next time - although it looks like it was a fun time!

cindy58
February 13th, 2012, 04:03 PM
LOL!!! my kids NEVER wear clothes.. If we go to the store quick or if we are gone most of the day, as soon as we get into the door their shoes come off first, then socks, then pants and they just work their way up.. haha.. They have both been like that since they were babies.. I have grown so used to it that i don't even think twice about it anymore..

I just looked at the photo again and noticed the dog under the table! That makes it even more fun!

trishalynn0708
February 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I just looked at the photo again and noticed the dog under the table! That makes it even more fun!

lol.. Yes, our Maggie.. She doesn't go far from the kids.. We rescued her from an abusive home about 6 months ago.. She doesn't like to be by herself so she isn't normally far from any picture's that I take.. =)

DippinPops
February 14th, 2012, 12:32 AM

Lol thought they were table legs - had to look twice!