PDA

View Full Version : Crumb coat a cookie?

Sugar Tapestry
June 5th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I have a question. I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I was just wondering about crumb coating a cookie. When the cookies come right out of the oven...would it be possible to dip the cookies in a thin glaze of conf. sugar and a little water or milk and corn syrup and let dry prior to decorating? It was just a question that popped in my brain the other day. I was thinking it would be a head start on icing the cookie and it would keep it moister. Any thoughts on this? If it's really a stupid idea, let me know. All thoughts welcome! Thanks!

Sugar Boy
June 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I used to "crumb coat" my cookies. That's how I learned when I took a cookie bouquet-making class, but I found that it made the cookie too sweet for my friends and it took extra time, so now I just eliminate that step.

Sugar Tapestry
June 6th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Thanks for that "SB". Yes, I can imagine that it would make those cookies sweet! Yikes! Never thought of that. It was interesting to learn that you learned to "crumb coat" a cookie. I don't know what made me think of it. And you're right, time-wise, we really don't need extra things to do. Thanks for your input.

DnaBoo
June 6th, 2010, 03:05 PM
you could use a less sweet dough and then crumb coat the cookie. may even out that sweetness :)

Sugar Tapestry
June 7th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Thanks Dina! I am probably going to experiment with this on a rainy day. I was relieved that it wasn't a stupid question and appreciate the advice from all. You know us curious people, we gotta try it out! I'll share my experience with it when I do it. It's on my "To Do" list along with making fondant. I'm nervous to do that too!

linedancer
June 7th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Sugar Tapestry, don't be nervous about fondant. I make both MMF and MFF all the time. They are both pretty easy. I am in Bradenton, and would be glad to help.

alysestanley
June 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I think it would just be an extra step that you could skip. Try fondant...don't be scared! It's a great way to add details.

Ladee_bugg
June 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
BTW, no questions are ever stupid. I learned from the one you asked, never thought of crumb coating either.

Linedancer - what is MFF? I made MMF but I am just not sure what MFF stand for. Thanks.

linedancer
June 8th, 2010, 02:53 AM
MFF is Michelle Foster's Fondant. A lot of folks on CC use it. It is made from knox gelatin, glycerin, karo, milk or cream and powdered sugar. I like its pliablilty, but not its taste. I like the taste and mouth feel of MMF, so I use a 50/50 mix of MMF and MFF. It gives me the taste, mouth feel and pliability I like to use as icing on my cookies. Here is the MFF recipe, I hope the link works for you:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3663/Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant