PDA

View Full Version : Cookies Breaking in Middle

vtomczak
April 27th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hey all! I recently shipped a bunch of cookies out of state - most of them made it there safely, but the woman who ordered them told me that a lot of the cookies in the middle of the box broke :( Some of them were because the design was fragile (palm trees - yikes) but some were round ones that I thought would have made it. Has anyone else had a problem with the cookies in the middle of the bix breaking (I would have thought the ones on the bottom and top were most likely to break!)

About to ship another order and getting a tiny ucler about it. I think after this point my shipping days will be done - it causes me so much stress!

katydoescookies
April 27th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Do you lay them flat or stand them up? I stand them up and wrap in bubble wrap for shipping. When I have a fragile cookie I package it with a sturdy one back to back and that seems to stabilize the fragile one. Don't know if this helps or not, but it works for me. --Katy

Jill W.
April 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM
On someone's blog I read about standing the cookies up when shipping also. I started doing that. I haven't shipped a lot of cookies to know if it always works, but so far no one has gotten any broken ones. That is strange that the ones in the middle broke - I would've thought the bottom and top ones would break first. hhhhhmmm I don't know.

DippinPops
April 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I don't think it matters too much if you stand them up since the boxes get tossed around anyway (and some have seen this first hand, even when marked Fragile!) For me, each layer goes into a gallon bag, with cardboard taped underneath the bag (or in the bag if individually wrapped), and bubble wrap in between layers. This way the cookies have less of a chance of "sinking" in between layers.

vtomczak
April 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all these ideas! I just got off the phone with woman who ordered them and she said that all the ones that broke were palm trees....so I feel a little better since I kind of anticipated having a problem with those! She was not at all upset and even passed my name on to several people :) I was starting to get nervous because I am shipping some wedding cookies this weekend, but they are 3" rounds so I'm thinking they will be okay. But I may try the cardboard idea - that makes a lit of sense. Where do you get your cardboard from?

DippinPops
April 28th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I just cut up priority boxes lol! I also do the box-in-a-box with bubble wrap around the inner box. Haven't shipped a whole lot, but never had a broken cookie, not even those 4" baby rattles! Knock on wood...!