PDA

View Full Version : Can you use candy clay as a substitute for fondant AND gum paste?

lala
July 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
I watched the KarensCookies tutorial on making candy clay...has anyone tried this recipe yet and is so, would anyone know if it would also work as a substitute for gum paste projects as well as fondant projects?

karen
July 4th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Lala, I have used it for simple roses and bows, and some smaller flowers, but if you're going to do more intricate designs, you'll need to add a little bit of gumpaste to it so that it will dry and stiffen up for you. I did this cake with just the candy clay:

You can see that the ribbon roses and bow kind of get squished. They just don't hold up quite as well because it doesn't stiffen up completely. I was lazy on this cake.

This cake was done with candy clay also, but I mixed in a small amount of gumpaste so that it would dry better (I used about 3 parts candy clay to one part gumpaste):

The bow and roses held their shape much better, and the tag was stiff so it didn't bend in the middle. I like doing this because it makes the decorations edible and tasty, but they also hold up well. The pink "wrapping paper" on the top box was straight candy clay, and so were the green and white stripes on the bottom tier.

lala
July 5th, 2010, 03:54 AM
THANKS! The cakes look great and gave me a good visual for what I am looking for. I am taking a gumpaste class and I am very new to all of this. I was a bit disappointed when I found out you don't eat gum paste...well I guess you can but apparently no one wants to. I very excited about practicing with the candy clay and I will add the gum paste. I am really looking to learn how to do flowers for cookie and cupcakes so this should work out great.

P.S. Thank you so much for your website and tutorials. KarensCookies was the first website I found and I have learned everything from your tutorials and cookie cards. Your site is my first and most used favorite :o)

Happy 4th of July!

laurs_1981
November 26th, 2011, 01:58 AM
there is always some kid at a party that will eat the gum paste decorations!!! trust me!!! haha