PDA

View Full Version : tutorial & how-to suggestions

bonniebakes
April 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to start a thread where people could post suggestions for tutorials or "how-to" articles so that we had a list of what people want and then we can start to build a great selection of tutorials.

So... what would be helpful?

~Bonnie

Bea
April 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Great idea, Bonnie!!
Remembering the Sound of Music... "Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start"... haha... this will help newbies and everyone...

Ideas for themes:
Prepare Dough
Bake COOKIES
Cookies on a Stick
Prepare Icing
Icing Coloring and Consistencies
Decorating: Piping, Flooding, Wet on Wet (Dots, Hearts, Marbleizing, etc.), Sugar & Lustre Dust, etc.

Maybe members can choose a theme and create a Tuto which can then be posted to the forum on a certain day, members can comment, ask or add tips, and the post will be there for new members... every week (or month) the following member continues with the next theme on a new post...

Sugarbabee7
April 28th, 2010, 12:59 AM
yea what Bea said:)

bonniebakes
April 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
great, keep those ideas coming!

Sarah
April 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Here's an idea for a tutorial that I would appreciate. How about going into the business side of things a bit? I didn't start decorating cookies with the idea of starting a business, but am finding that business is coming to me anyway!

Some decorators may need a lot of info about a full-fledged cookie biz, but I'd appreciate any tips, tricks and ideas about a little side biz that comes to you. Things I would appreciate info on would be pricing structure, government requirements/inspections needed (taxes, does kitchen need to be inspected, things like that), handling difficult customers, tips on the whole process of baking, decorating, and packaging large orders of cookies, and how to make sure you don't get in over your head. I am a MASTER at getting in over my head :)

Some general advice on if it's even worth it to sell cookies would be nice too. Sometimes fun hobbies can become un-fun and a lot of work if you start doing it for money. Sometimes it's better to just do it as a hobby and make all your own rules. I'm especially interested in this because I just made a huge batch of truffles last week to sell to someone and found that I got so stressed over the whole thing that I wasn't sure it was such a hot idea in the end. Plus, I really didn't make much, if any money in the end. And I spent a lot of my precious time on it. On the other hand, I would LOVE it if I could figure out a way to make a little money on the side doing something I love...

Okay, so obviously I could probably write a tutorial on all the QUESTIONS I have about this, so I'll stop here. I'm sure you get the idea. Thanks!!!!

polkadot
April 28th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Sometimes fun hobbies can become un-fun and a lot of work if you start doing it for money. Sometimes it's better to just do it as a hobby and make all your own rules. I'm especially interested in this because I just made a huge batch of truffles last week to sell to someone and found that I got so stressed over the whole thing that I wasn't sure it was such a hot idea in the end. Plus, I really didn't make much, if any money in the end. And I spent a lot of my precious time on it. On the other hand, I would LOVE it if I could figure out a way to make a little money on the side doing something I love...

This is exactly how I feel, Sarah. At this point, I am getting to be quite good at decorating cookies and they are looking very professional, but it takes so much time to make them look that way. I am reluctant to give selling them a try in part because I am worried that I will quickly burn out from all of the work and stress. I too need to figure out the rules for selling food products in my area.

bonniebakes
April 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Here's an idea for a tutorial that I would appreciate. How about going into the business side of things a bit? I didn't start decorating cookies with the idea of starting a business, but am finding that business is coming to me anyway!

Okay, so obviously I could probably write a tutorial on all the QUESTIONS I have about this, so I'll stop here. I'm sure you get the idea. Thanks!!!!

Sarah & Polkadot - Have you seen the new "business" section of the forum? Hopefully information from there will answer a lot of your questions. I'm sure a lot of people have the same kinds of concerns and questions.

polkadot
April 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Sarah & Polkadot - Have you seen the new "business" section of the forum? Hopefully information from there will answer a lot of your questions. I'm sure a lot of people have the same kinds of concerns and questions.

I will have to check it out! Thanks.

Sarah
May 1st, 2010, 05:52 AM

Me too! Yeah, that's perfect...I'll check it out and start putting this type of post there. Thanks!

Ashley Harrison
May 7th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I'm in the same boat as Sarah and Polkadot. I'm loving making cookies (especially the decorating part!). I started doing it just for fun, but now I'm getting requests for pay. The few cookie boquets I've done were for friends, so I haven't charged much, but now friends-of-friends are asking, and I don't know what 'fair' pricing would be. I realize that if we factor in the time it takes from start to finish, no one would pay that kinds of money. I know that part of my pay is the joy I feel when someone likes my work. :) I think I'll go check out the business section right now! Thanks!! :) ~Ashley

bonniebakes
May 8th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I'm in the same boat as Sarah and Polkadot. I'm loving making cookies (especially the decorating part!). I started doing it just for fun, but now I'm getting requests for pay. The few cookie boquets I've done were for friends, so I haven't charged much, but now friends-of-friends are asking, and I don't know what 'fair' pricing would be. I realize that if we factor in the time it takes from start to finish, no one would pay that kinds of money. I know that part of my pay is the joy I feel when someone likes my work. :) I think I'll go check out the business section right now! Thanks!! :) ~Ashley

good luck, Ashley!

Post all your business questions in the business section and we'll see if we can't get some answers for you!

luv2bake6
May 24th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Would love to see a tutorial for the kopykake projector....specifically the use of the projector as opposed to the cookie. (sweetopia has a great tut on decorating the cookie but i'd like to see the before).
thanks bonnie!

bonniebakes
May 24th, 2010, 09:46 PM
great suggestion! thanks!!

debdegeer
June 24th, 2010, 12:56 AM
How about a tutorial on stenciling! I've seen some pretty awesome stenciled cookies on this sight and I have no idea how it's done.

bonniebakes
June 25th, 2010, 12:09 AM
How about a tutorial on stenciling! I've seen some pretty awesome stenciled cookies on this sight and I have no idea how it's done.

there's one in the works :-)

debdegeer
June 25th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Can't wait! Thanks!!

cookiecove
June 29th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Can't wait to see tutorial on stenciling! Will be checking back often! Thank you!!!

rita
June 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I would love to see the stenciling, marbelizing and how to do like the leopard pattern on cookies.

bonniebakes
July 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
in case you haven't seen it, there's now a basic stenciling tutorial in the tutorial section.

debdegeer
July 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Saw it Bonnie! It's great. Thnks