PDA

View Full Version : Turning a profit

Sarah
July 4th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Hi Ladies!

I am forever teetering back and forth trying to decide if I should sell cookies or not. I'm hoping that some of you that have made a success of this can shed some new light on my situation.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I could generate quite a few customers. My problem is figuring out if it would really be worth it to me in the end. I've run two of my own small businesses and managed a third, so I know how much work, time and money can go into running a business.

Right now, I work approx. 2 to 3 eight hour shifts as a nurse per week, plus I have a very active daughter that is almost 3. My goal would be to cut back to 1 to 2 shifts per week as a nurse and then supplement my income selling cookies. (I don't think I'd try to totally stop working as a nurse. I like my job and it's a great "emergency back-up" source of money.)

Anyway, I guess what I'm wanting to know is if it's all been worth it to you and if you've been able to turn a profit within a reasonable period of time. No need to give exact numbers unless you want to - your response in general terms would be highly appreciated.

I've had businesses and commitments "take over my life" before and I want to avoid that at all costs. My daughter is my top priority. I also have issues with taking FOREVER to get cookies made and decorated from start to finish. Seriously, I don't have a clue how some of you do this and have little kids at the same time. All I can say is, you're awesome! I know I wouldn't be able to turn a profit unless I get faster.

I am so impressed with all the amazing cookie artists on this forum and would love to hear your thoughts on this. Many thanks in advance!

Nanny's Sugar Cookies
July 4th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Sarah, I had to think about this one for a bit. I do make a profit with my business, Nanny's Sugar Cookies but like you I do not want it controlling my life. The main reason I took the steps to become an "official" business was to protect my home and other family assets along with making sure I would not get in trouble for selling cookies from my home. The business allows me to advertise and promote my cookies. The amount of profit that I do make is not a large amount but does give me spending money and the opportunity to save some extra money. I have plenty of "free time" (when I'm not crazy with orders) now that my only child is 20 yrs old. I think there is plenty of opportunity to really grow my business but right now I really like a balance of family time and "cookie order" time. I sell my cookies for $2.50 each, they are individually wrapped in cello bags (from Nashville wraps) and tied with 2 ribbons. I have contemplated raising the price because of the amount of time it takes to produce the cookies but I'm afraid if I do I could be sorry. I do sell my cookies to a couple of local boutiques who sell them for $3.95 ea. I love the fact that I no longer have to use my "grocery money" to buy supplies for my cookie making passion. I have been a stay at home mom since my son was born, so any money that I have made has been a bonus, my hubby certainly can not quit work! LOL as i said on the other thread... The business part of cookies is not my specialty but i am making money and having fun- sometimes crazy busy but still fun! Good luck!

Sarah
July 6th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Thanks so much Nanette. I really appreciate your taking the time to share your "cookie journey" :)

Definitely helped me a lot and I will keep in mind what you had to say as I proceed. Thanks again!