Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best icing for Florida humidity and drying times???

Best icing for Florida humidity and drying times???

I am brand new to the site and just completed my first batch of decorated cookies with the help of Karen's website I used a MBC recipe from another thread on this site. The look and taste of the cookies was perfect, but they didn't seem to set well (I dented them when I stacked them). However, I'm not sure if I gave them enough time (left out for 18 hours). I am making cookie favors for a friend's baby shower this weekend and am considering trying RI this time (but am worried about sacrificing taste). I read some posts that subsituting dried egg whites can help with setting. Has anyone tried this with RI? Any tips or words of wisdom related to the type to use in high humidity and drying times would be greatly appreciated. Even in October it's always humid here. Thanks!

I am a RI convert. If I need them to dry fast, I use very little corn syrup. I converted to Ck brand merinque powder and now I really like the taste (use to use wilton and did not like the taste.) Also add Buttery Sweet Dough Emulsion to flavor it. Good luck!

I agree with Debdegeer - Wilton's meringue powder leaves a taste that I just couldn't stand but I use CK now and there wasn't any aftertaste. It did smell yucky until it was dry but once dry it was fine. I am kinda surprised at how much difference there is between the 2. I live in Houston, TX and I cannot use the buttercream recipe unless I cut way back on the shortening to about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons. They just never ever dried....I still am not sure that I can treat them as roughly as you can royal icing when packaging and shipping.

Hi Michelle!

Welcome! You will love it here. I wish I had more time to interact. I work full-time. When I'm home, I'm baking or cleaning or whatever. I'm not real into the internet. I do like to search for recipes, update my blog and of course visit "CookiesRUs". So glad to meet you. It's a wonderful place to learn from extremely talented people. Everyone is so sweet.

I tried to post a quick reply this morning, but I hit the wrong key on my stupid laptop keyboard and it erased what I have typed. That happens to me all the time, especially when I am in a hurry. Anyway, I live in FL and know how humidity works against us. I have used the meringue power buttercream recipes, but it doesn't dry the way I'd like. Like the ladies stated above, not sturdy enough for wrapping. There is a lady that has played around with the crisco to meringue powder ratio. You will probably be able to find it under the "icing" thread. If I find it, I'll post it for you.

I absolutely love the recipe for RI that Pam over at Cookie Crazie uses. She put a link to it on her website. Here it is: Sugar Cookie Icing. I use the same consistancy for outlining and flooding, it dries fairly quickly (usually over night) and no craters when drying. I add clear butter and vanilla extract to it and love the flavor and consistancy. I also sift the sugar ( I have found it makes a difference) and replaced water for milk. I haven't gotten one negative comment or complaint. It dries fairly shiny. I usually make 8 batches at one time. It behaves wonderfully and tastes great also. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Sugar Tapestry; October 3rd, 2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Lisa

So many cookies, so little time!

http://sugartapestry.wordpress.com//

Thank you all for the quick feedback! Lisa, thank you for posting the link to the recipe. It was great to hear from a fellow Floridian! I'm sure I will experiment with several recipes to find "the one." How long do you typically let the cookies dry before packing? Does using a fan help? If you do use a RI recipe that uses meringue powder, have you ever tried substituting dried eggs whites (read another thread where that was done for meringue buttercream). Thanks again for the help

With this glaze recipe, they dry literally overnight and yes, I leave my ceiling fan running in the kitchen full speed all night. I usually give it two nights though, because I put them in bags most of the time for arrangements. The first night I let them sit out, uncovered several hours. Then, when I go to bed I put them in plastic containers with the lids just set on top, not sealed up tight. Then, when I go to work the next morning I seal them up so they don't get stale. By that night they are ready to wrap up. They dry beautifully!

As far as the meringue recipes, I have never tried substituting dried egg whites.

Hey, you are welcome! I'm glad I could help. I am a newbie to this, only been making these cookies since about April. So any advice I can offer is by trial and error. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and use any idea there you find. Glad to have you out here!!
    Lisa

So many cookies, so little time!

http://sugartapestry.wordpress.com//

I use dried egg whites in place of meringue powder in MPB icing as meringue powder is harder to find here in England. I used Kay's revised version (see the buttercream sub-form). I did find that 4 tbsp Crisco were too much and had to reduce down to 3 tbsp + 1 tsp. I also use 1 kg of powdered sugar rather than 6 cups.

It took some experimenting to find the right combination for our ingredients and weather. I spent a week making different batches and decorating cheap, shop-bought cookies until I found the right combination for me. Now I do have a version that dries hard and is stackable.
    Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

Thanks for the additional info Lisa! I am going to try that icing recipe for my favors tomorrow. Will let you know how they turn out! Cait, Kay's revised version was what I made the 1st time. I wish it could have set better, because I loved the taste. Thanks again for all the help!

Lisa, I did a little trial today with the icing you recommended and it dried perfectly!!! I was very happy to see that is isn't too hard, and tastes good too! Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm no longer worried about having dented cookies at the shower

OMG!!!!!!! Lisa, it worked!!! The glaze worked! and I live in Puerto Rico (talking about hot and humid.) It has been about 12 hours, I made a flower cookie to try out the glaze. It piped like a dream and it's drying with a beautiful sheen to it). Thanks soooo much for your info and to Pam for giving us the recipe.