Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpie fine point as food writers

Sharpie fine point as food writers

Has anyone heard of this? I went to my local cake decorating supply store. I needed a black food writer pen (I don't normally use them but needed it for something) She pulled out a regular Sharpie fine point marker. I said is this safe on a cookie? She showed me the "AP" certified mark on the pen showing that it is certified non-toxic...... I bought it and went home and checked my other Sharpies in my scrapbooking marker drawer and they ALL say AP Certified.
    I googled AP certified online and this is what it means:
    Certified AP Non toxic

A product that is Certified AP (Approved Product) Non-Toxic has been "certified in a program of toxicological evaluation by a medical expert to contain no materials in sufficient quantities to be toxic or injurious to humans or cause acute or chronic health problems."
    So what do you think? Sharpies come in lots of colors and if they are safe, imagine the possibilities... I am just a hobby baker and give cookies to my friends etc. I rarely use food writers on cookies, I prefer the details of piping, but just throwing this out there for feedback from all you experts...

I would be interested to hear this

also while on the subject--what was the name for the pencils that you can use to write on cookies??

Hmmm...I'm not brave enough to use Sharpies. I'll stick with the Americolor pens. Just because something is non-toxic doesn't mean it can be consumed, just not toxic to humans.

Sugar Boy, I am with you, but how can a cake supply store sell something like that to use for that purpose?

Metallic dragees, that many of us put on cookies, aren't considered safe to eat. In America anyway. I eat them and let my kids do the same. I'm not sure I would worry about small markings of sharpies in terms of toxicity, but instead the stain factor when eaten. Sharpies are a very permanent marker.

Quote Originally Posted by Justforfuncookies View Post
    Metallic dragees, that many of us put on cookies, aren't considered safe to eat. In America anyway. I eat them and let my kids do the same. I'm not sure I would worry about small markings of sharpies in terms of toxicity, but instead the stain factor when eaten. Sharpies are a very permanent marker.
    I remember those metallic dragees when I was little. Those were fun. But why aren't they safe to eat anymore?

You're right about the Sharpies being very permanent. When I use them for writing/drawing (on paper) and stain my hands (because I'm messy), I usually have to wait until that piece of skin wears off.

I think if you were to do MINOR detailing--like a dot on an eye etc.. you would be fine with a sharpie--

as for dragees they were taken off the shelves here for YEARS and resurfaced maybe 10? years ago--I use them on my cookies--and I eat them too!

I'm not sure I would use them. I like my Americolor pens just fine. If you use the sharpie, do you still get that sharpie smell? I think that would be something to consider.
    Chris

Cookies By Chris
    www.facebook.com/CookiesByChris

Quote Originally Posted by barbieitch View Post
    If you use the sharpie, do you still get that sharpie smell?
    They don't have as strong of an odor as the big Sharpie pens - where you needed a well ventilated room to use those markers.

The metallic dragees are listed as not a food safe item. Apparently they are safe to eat in Europe so I eat them here. Om with the small use of a sharpie but not painting a whole cookie with them.