Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glaze?

Glaze?

Hi I am a newbie...who enjoys making cookies

What is the main difference between a glaze and roayl icing?
    Which do you prefer?

I made one last night w/ corn syrup and evap milk...but this morning after decorationg I can still press my finger in the icing and ruin the decorating.

Does that sound right or did I perhaps do something wrong>
    Thanks!!

I have made both and the corn syrup icing takes much longer to dry and set up hard but tastes better IMHO. Royal icing has meringue powder in it and it has a matte finish to it. Dries faster and more brittle than the corn syrup. I think royal icing is less forgiving than the corn syrup but gives a crisper finish.

I prefer RI it's very easy to work with - for me- and it could be made extra shiny by adding 1/2tsp of corn syrup or Glycerin. It dries fast to a nice smooth finish.

I've never used evaporated milk in glace, so maybe that was the problem. Regular milk, or even water, works well.

I use both glace and royal. I love the taste of glace, but I'm not really good at piping , so I find royal is easier to work with. As I get better, I imagine I'll use more glace.

I use glaze exclusively and love it!

I've tried royal icing, but dislike it's yucky aftertaste (probably from the meringue powder....have you smelled it by itself?!), how fast it dries when you are decorating with it, how it clogs the tips so easily, how the bubbles in the icing can really ruin the look of the cookie unless you go pop them while it's wet, and the way it dries crunchy hard with a matte finish.

It's true.....RI is so much easier to decorate with. It holds it shape and you can do so much with it. But to me, personally, I want my cookie to taste as good as it looks and I just don't like the taste of RI. For me, the glaze perfectly compliments the cookie. And as long as the cookie is not too old, it stays pretty soft (or maybe I should say "tender") with the glaze.

The biggest disadvantage to glaze is that it takes some practice to get the hang of decorating with it. And it doesn't hold shape, so you can't make flowers, stars, or grass with it. I've learned to add details, let them dry, and then add more details. This allows me to do almost as much with graze as I could with RI. But I must admit, that if it was just about decorating the cookie.....I'd definitely use RI.

As far as how long it takes for glaze to dry.....I use to add more corn syrup to my icing, and I loved the shine.....BUT.....it took up to 48 hours to dry. I started using less corn syrup (half as much, actually) and now my cookies are stack-able/bag-able in 24 hours. Again, that may seem like a long time......but I think it's worth it to have the best cookie/icing duo.

And finally......I think everyone just has to find their niche. What works best for you? Try RI, glaze, buttercream, or fondant and find what you enjoy working with that makes the cookie that you are most proud of.

I think it is so cool that everyone does it differently, but everyone comes with with the most fantastic cookies.

I tried your recipe for the corn syrup cookiecrazie and you are right it sets up sooooo much faster! I really like it.

Pam: I went to your website and followed the link to Allrecpies.............is this the exact one you use? Usually, do you make more at a time.

Also - the icing using half as much corn syrup - it seemed easier to work with this time. I added lemon juice and I didn't have any of the crystals that showed up in my previous batch of cookies. Odd thing was I had much less air bubbles also. I think that the way I put the icing on made the difference. When I use the bottles I tend to put the nozzle down in the icing and use it to push the icing into corners and to smooth it out. This time I used a bag which makes me tend to hold it up above the cookies and let the icing "fall" into place. My theory is that when I let it "fall" into place it pushes out the air as it levels out but when I push it around I am putting air into it. ......my not be the reason but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it!!! : ) . I rarely get a theory so I'm gonna hang on for dear life on this one!!!
    Last edited by Mellie; June 4th, 2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: I didn't make sense!!

Hi, i am a newbie to this and i need to know how many cups equate to 2lbs sugar? not sure, but i am trying to find the fastest drying recipe to glazing, does anyone have the recipe? thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by karen12 View Post
    Hi, i am a newbie to this and i need to know how many cups equate to 2lbs sugar?
    In my experience, it's between 7 and 8 cups. I usually round up and call it 8 cups.