Thread: Tried the buttercream, but prefer the RI

Tried the buttercream, but prefer the RI

I made a batch of the buttercream icing everyone here talks about.
    It looked like it wanted to seperate a little when I watered it down for flooding.
    I base iced some cookies last night at 5pm.
    I expected to write on them with the food doodlers at 10am this morning, but the
    icing wasn't hard enough. The pens just dented it up and looked terrible.
    The borders on my other cookies were denting also as I was packaging them.

I guess I"m just used to the RI setting quicker.

Did I do something wrong or should I not have expected to be able to write on them
    29 hrs. later?
    Last edited by CindyW; March 1st, 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling

I had a very hard time getting it to set up. I did reduce the shortening to 2 tablespoons and still couldn't get it to set up until I switched to CK meringue powder. I know I sound like a broken record but it was so different. It still took a long time but it would set up with CK and never set up with Wilton's.

I did however give up eventually and went back to royal. So much easier to deal with.

I reduced the shortening to 2 tablespoons too.
    I'm gonna stick with the RI. I've never had any complaints and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I don't have any issues with BC...I use it exclusively, but I rarely write on my cookies with pens so I am not sure about that. I love the fact that the outside dries enough to package, yet icing is still soft in the middle...apparently so does everyone else! I have never had a problem with "separation" either. Having said all that...I have issues with RI....I can't tell you how many times I have gone back and tried it. No matter what, I just cannot get a good flavor, in fact....blechhhh! But I agree with Brindy...if it works for you (and the people you bake for), stick with it!!
    Terri
    There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's screaming to get out...I can usually shut her up with cookies!

Fresh Cut Flours