Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cookie Cutter Organization

Cookie Cutter Organization

Okay, I give up. HELP! Right now I have my cutters organized in boxes by themes however I'm just finding that doesn't work for me in that a particular cutter can cover a number of themes, and then I have a whole bunch of ones in a "random" box that defy being categorized.

Does anyone just categorize their cutters alphabetically and if so, does that work? Today I'm going to go through my cutters (or at least begin the process) and make an index card for each cutter with it's name and size (mini, small, medium, large) so that I can quickly check before buying another cutter to see if I already have it. I know others have spreadsheets to do that but I'm an index card girl.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how you all store yours and if you have a way that you can easily access them. I'm quite curious at this point to know how many I have....or maybe I'm not because if you know you have a problem you have to do something about it. Denial works so much better for me.

maybe if you want to be UBER organized take a photo of each cutter--place on a card and stick card in a binder--then place it in a bin and number that bin

so for example
    cat cutter is bin #2

your boxes will be misc--but you search by your card #'s

Senior Member Sweet Creations by Debbie's Avatar
    I still categorize by theme mostly, but I do have to keep buying more storage bins for them. It might help if you keep a spreadsheet with every cookie cutter you have, and make sure you have a column for bin # so you know where to find it.

Debbie,

The reason I'm growing frustrated with themes is that I ended up packing a themed bin so full that I then have to open that bin, separate the cutters AGAIN, and begin a new bin. I'm thinking if I go alphabetically and make sure there's plenty of room in each as I divide them up the first time, I might be able to get away without needing to separate and re-bin again in the future. We shall see. I'm just hoping to keep the accumulation of cookie cutters down enough that the car still can fit in the garage too. As does my spouse...though I believe her hope is fading.

I've never thought of alphabetically...I have to give that some thought. Right now, I'm okay with categories, but I did have the overlap of holidays when the Witches Pot was also used as a Pot of Gold. So I guess I'd file it under P for pot. Not a bad idea. :-)

I have mine arranged on peg boards in the basement. I am very fortunate to have the space to do this. Like you, I could never find a good system with storage bins. Good luck!
    Lisa

Mine are in categories and the bins are about 9 inches deep and 16 X10. I have a small space but if you buy bins that stack on top of each other and I use smaller ones for categories like summer, baby, flowers and sea animals. Do your cards in order, and put the name of the category bin they are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita1956 View Post
    Okay, I give up. HELP! Right now I have my cutters organized in boxes by themes however I'm just finding that doesn't work for me in that a particular cutter can cover a number of themes...
    I have a few cutters that "cross" over. I was lucky enough to get duplicates of these cross-overs, so that one goes in each bin. Or, in the case of the heart, I might have one in each "themed" box!

For those that I don't have a duplicate, I will put a note in the box to get the cutter stored in the other "themed" box.

I like index cards, too. I might try to do some kind of organization/description.

There are times when I think I could throw out these cutters and only keep a circle, square and heart. That's a sure sign to walk away from the kitchen and take a break. Problem is...I go shopping and guess what I find...a cookie cutter that I can't live without!

I'm a spreadsheet gal, BUT if you're going to use index cards, I would recommend adding a note on the card saying something like "see also..." so that when you are working on a specific theme, you remember others that can go together. For instance on my spreadsheet, I have my cutters categorized by theme, but I also have a column that says "see also" so for St. Patrick's Day it will say "see also witches cauldron in the halloween bin for a pot of gold" and under Christmas it says "see also ice skate in the sports bin" and so on. You can see my spreadsheet here: http://www.box.net/shared/fb0tfte97s and feel free to download it and adjust it for your own needs. Enjoy!
    Cristin (Pinkie)
    Cristin's Cookies Facebook Page
    Cristin's Cookies BLOG
    Courage - When the world says, "Give up", Hope whispers, "Try one more time".

Junior Member CookiesbyDanielle's Avatar
    I take pictures of each cutter and then keep a list on my iPad with shape and size. I also keep the pictures on my iPad so anytime I want to buy a new one or make a specific design I can look through my inventory. I store them in ziplock freezer bags in a tub. I've almost reached 100 and I can't help but buy more whenever I can lol.
    **Danielle**