Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting the consistency right!

Getting the consistency right!

I need advice from the experts here. I use glaze exclusively but sometimes struggle with getting the consistency right. I've tried the counting to 10 trick but that doesn't work too good for me. I would like to know if any of you have any other suggestions? TIA

Getting Consistency Right

Bridget from http://bake@350.blogspot.com just started up her new site http://universityofcookie.com where she has a video on getting your royal icing the right consistency. It may help you.

Are you using the corn syrup glaze? I've heard a couple of guidelines for this, and the one I like the best is that it should be the consistency of honey. Pretty thick, but flowy (is flowy a word? Flow-y) I think a lot of it is personal preference. I know I like my glaze quite a bit thicker than most people, but I don't outline and flood-- I just spread it on with a metal spatula, so I need it a little bit thicker so it won't run all over the place. I don't know if there's any "right" consistency-- the trick is finding the consistency that you like working with the best. But-- there are lots of people who are better at the corn syrup glaze than I am, so hopefully they'll have some input!

Thanks Paula and Karen. Karen, I do use glaze icing. I will try the honey consistency and see how it works. I know what works for one person, might not work for me. I'm trying to do as you suggest, find what works for me and go with that. Thanks again!

I use the 10 second rule.....so I'm not much help either.

I don't use different consistencies for outlining and flooding. I just make my icing so it completely smooths out flat at 10 seconds and then pipe an outline with a #1 OR #2 and then flood with a #3 or #4.

I wish I could be of more help.

Pam, you have been A LOT of help to me in the past...I do have a question. Do you (everyone, not just Pam) outline, let it set then come back and flood? Or do you outline then immediately flood?

I use glace for all my cookie decorating. I always used to say to mix it to the consistency of white school glue, but I think I like the honey consistency better! Mostly, I go by how the icing feels when I mix it. Like Karen, I prefer it to be a bit thicker than glace probably should be. And I do all my outlining and details with the same glace. It's the last step I do, so I usually will add all my leftover icing together, add some black, and enough powdered sugar to get it to the consistency of peanut butter. (With it being black, it seems more like tar, but peanut butter sounds so-o-o much nicer).

cookiejunkie....it depends on what you want. If you outline and let it dry before adding the flood.....you'll end up with a "line" where you can see the separation of outline and flood. If you outline and immediately flood.....it will flow into one continuous icing. Whenever I'm outlining with black, I let it dry some before adding the flood. But almost always.....when I'm outlining with the same color as the flood.....I try to flood right after I outline.

Susan.....that's a great idea about adding all your leftover icing together and then adding black. I always make all my colors ahead of time....so that wouldn't work for me.

I have to try glace! I want to try it so I don't know why I haven't. I need to do it now that you all have given such great tips Thanks.
    Lisa (aka theBearFootBaker)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45017106@N08/

cookiecrazie- do you use any other decorating tips such as leaves or stars in addition to tip #'s 1 - 5?