Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can I save unused glaze?

How long can I save unused glaze?

Just wondering about the 'shelf life' of corn syrup glaze. I'm just getting started on my cookie endeavors, and find that I usually have quite a bit of glaze left over. I hate to throw it away, but I'm not sure if the taste and consistency will change over time. Any suggestions or helpful hints will be much appreciated! ~Ashley

I keep mine for about 3-4 days at room temp. I know there are others who keep it even longer than that, but that's about my limit.

I have used it a week later--just stir it up real good
    I have also stored it in the fridge for longer time--but I am still a newbie..

I've always refrigerated my leftover glace, and it keeps great for 2-3 weeks. It will probably still be good after that, but you may have problems with the finish (such as cloudiness and spotting).

I keep my glaze for 3-4 days at room temp too, Karen. Once I'm done with the decorating project, I put it in the refrigerator with a note that says "Eat me" and it magically disappears within a few days.

lol, that's funny Pam!
    I keep my glace in the fridge and i can say it lasts up to 3 weeks. The only reason i'm saying that is because i've used it in 3 weeks and have not had an opportunity to see if it would stay longer (but i'm sure it would)

When I keep mine for long term storage I generally only refrigerate it for as long as the sell by date on the milk I use. I would assume that the only thing to go bad in the icing is the milk, so I date the icing with the same sell by date as the milk and after that I toss any unused icing. But while I decorate I keep it at room temp for a few days (3 or 4) just so it doesn't set and I don't have to wait for it to come to room temperature.

Can it be frozen like royal icing? Has anyone tried?

I've frozen mine for as long as 2 weeks and haven't had any problems with it. I just let it sit on the counter until it gets to room temp and use. I've frozen it colored and white and I don't see any difference in the quality of it.

Hi,
    If you use milk and or eggs in your glaze, I would not save it for more than a week. I use a glaze w/o eggs and milk. Mine requires water, and vanilla. Very simple. You can put it in the freezer and it will keep a month. It's fine if you have colored it too. I always refrigerate my glaze overnight if I am going to use it the next day.
    I don't see any reason to leave it out over night. You can see the vanilla rise to the top when you refregerate and it warms to room temperature quickly. Just stir them up and you are ready to go again.
    Last edited by Jinnee; March 8th, 2013 at 03:10 PM.