Thread: Seriously need help with shipping!

Seriously need help with shipping!

I have asked this question over at cake central about a week ago. So far 0 answers. I'm hopping someone from here can help me. I had 3 potential clients ask me today if I ship. As they can be repeat clients, I really need to get on this fast.

My post from over there:

I'm sorry, if i missed it somewhere, but how do you ship cookies? Or ship anything edible? How do I package something that is in a clear plastic box so that it doesn't get crushed?

Are there any across the state lines regulations that I need to be aware of? Do laws as far as operating a home kitchen in my state matter across borders? Is there anything I need to do in this department? How does it work selling things online? Do you include shipping in the total for the cookies? I see a lot of people doing that.

Sorry for asking so many questions. I'm completely new to shipping. I never have shipped anything much less a cookie before. Don't know why, just haven't.

If anybody has any tips, advice, a forum post on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Oh and how do you ship a cookie that is in an acrylic box?

And one more thing....sorry... When shipping the cookies as samples should I send them 1 dummy cookie or should I send them fresh ones to eat? How many? (This is if i mail them)

Hi Dreme, first of all let me say that I checked your web site ... and WOW what a work of art !! I can answer only part of your question - unfortunately- but I'm sure the others will fill in ...as for packaging :
    Line a sturdy container, like a small cardboard box, plastic shoe box, or metal tin, with cookie-cradling packing materials — bubble wrap, foam peanuts, or crumpled waxed or parchment paper. Carefully nestle the cookies inside the container, and seal with tape or tie tightly with ribbon.

Place the container in a heavyweight cardboard shipping box. Add enough crumpled newspaper, bubble wrap, or foam peanuts to prevent the container from shifting. Write "fragile" and "perishable" on all sides of the box. Hope this helps

Hi Dreme -

Check the tutorial section on here... there's a great tutorial on shipping/packaging that moight be helpful to you.

I use a combination of plastic boxes (recycled from the salad bar) and plastic bags (recycled from dry cleaning or grocery stores) to cushion my cookies when I send them. I'm trying to get a tutorial together for my method, but haven't been able to get it all done and written yet.

I crumple some plastic bags for cushioning and line the bottom of the plastic container with them. Then I layer the cookies (I individually bag each cookie or layer them on wax paper depending on who's getting them) making them fit together as closely as possible while still being flat. I try not to do more than 3-4 layers in each package, separating each layer with more crushed up plastic bag for cushioning. Then some more on top to make it full so that there isn't a lot of room for movement, and I close the lid.

The lg. plastic containers from my grocery store fit perfectly in the large flat-rate or priority mail boxes from the PO - just enough room for a little more cushioning around the plastic box......

As far as regulations about shipping across state lines... I'm not sure. I don't sell mine, only send to family and friends. I imagine that as long as you are following the laws of your state as far as "legal" selling of baked goods, you should be OK.... but you might want to check with whomever does the licensing in you area (dept,. of agriculture or dept., of health).

Hi Dreme. I did a tutorial on shipping, but I would also check out this link: http://www.cookiedecorator.com/showt...rning-shipping PaintedCookie added some pictures of how she ships, and I think it looks alot more professional. I mailed a sample done her way to my friend...hopefully she'll get them today and let me know how it went.

I would definitely send a sample that they can taste as well as look at.

As far as regulations, my opinion may not be popular, but I find it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! I'm in Ohio and can legally bake from home. But I have sent cookies to different states. I didn't bother to check with anybody on the legalities. But that's just me!

Good luck!!!