Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: home baking business regulations

home baking business regulations

There's been a lot of talk about this, so I thought I'd start a thread where we can ask questions and post information about local regulations regarding home-baking businesses.

In Maryland you cannot sell baked goods made in a home kitchen. You can build a separate kitchen in your house, to be used only for "business", but you have to be licensed and the kitchen inspected.

There's a group of bakers who have gone before "the court" the past 2 years to try to get the law changed, but thus far they have not been successful. I heard that a law passed recently about selling baked goods at farmers markets, but I'm not sure of the details....

I am curious about this too. I have searched everywhere for info on baking/selling in Georgia and I can not find anything. I have had a store in NY ask me if they could carry some of my cookies in their store. I am not sure about this one. Do I go through Georgia guidelines, Ny guidelines, or both. I just started this venture so I do not have a business license or insurance. So much to think about. I would love some info if anyone knows about Georgia. TIA

I just finished the process in PA. It was pretty simple. You have to get a letter from your township for approval and then notify the Health Department. The following link was helpful in determining the guidelines.
    Let me know if you are in PA and I can be of any help. I was very confused when I started and asked many questions.
    Ashley from
    The Cookie Sheet Bakery
    www.thecookiesheetbakery.com

Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pennsy...35324093146613

Quote Originally Posted by Shana View Post
    I am curious about this too. I have searched everywhere for info on baking/selling in Georgia and I can not find anything. I have had a store in NY ask me if they could carry some of my cookies in their store. I am not sure about this one. Do I go through Georgia guidelines, Ny guidelines, or both. I just started this venture so I do not have a business license or insurance. So much to think about. I would love some info if anyone knows about Georgia. TIA
    I am in the same boat. I am baking out of my home at this time. It isn't really legal...for the state of GA in order to bake/sell it has to be out of a commercial kitchen. If this grows into something bigger, which I hope it does, I will explore some other avenues for looking for commercial kitchen to rent. Maybe in my dream home I will have a commercial kitchen in addition to my regular one!

Quote Originally Posted by Shana View Post
    so I do not have a business license or insurance. So much to think about. I would love some info if anyone knows about Georgia. TIA
    If you are going to sell publicly, I strongly recommend business insurance (about $500/yr in CT) and doing your LLC to protect your home. I do not have a license and in CT you are suppose to bake in an inspected kitchen. Our church is looking into bringing their kitchen up to code. So I am taking my chances with the town, but I am covered, god forbid someone breaks a tooth or something. Not that I make teeth-breaking cookies! LOL

In California you have to work out of a commercial kitchen in order to sell to the public. I have a friend who makes jams and jellies for sale and rents a commercial kitchen at night-time to work from. I have my own candle and soapmaking business and would never think of selling without liablitiy insurance. There are too many people out there that are eager to sue people for anything. Just my 2 cents.

Senior Member Nanny's Sugar Cookies's Avatar
    I live in Virginia, Last year i became an official business. I am a native Californian and in Cali you have to work from a "commercial kitchen" so i knew i could never make my "cookie business" legit. In late 2008 I saw a seminar here in Virginia given by the Rappahannock Region Small Business Center an extension of the University Mary Washington. For $25 i went to the seminar and signed up with a business counselor...for FREE!!!! She was unbelievable, without all of her knowledge and help I would still be thinking I can never own a home based small cookie business. She was with me every step of the way. I opened up Nanny's Sugar Cookies LLC, got my business licsence, went through the health dept for my home kitchen inspection, went through my county to pay the fees for a home business and i also had to send in a flow chart of each step I take from start to finish with my cookies and a sample of my ingredients label. She also helped me with the paper work for paying state sales tax. I am not a business woman, i am someone who enjoys baking and decorating so if I can do this and your state allows Home Bakeries then I'm sure you can too. There were many times when i got totally overwhelmed but I got through it... I am still in the learning process but no longer worrying that I will get caught selling cookies. Oh... i also suggest getting "product liability" insurance, as someone else mentioned there are people who love to prey on others. without the small Business counselor i would not be enjoying my passion, I hope to be as good as some of you ladies on this forum, i continue to learn sooo much from all of your sharing!!
    Nanette AKA Nanny's Sugar Cookies, LLC
    www.nannyssugarcookies.com
    Facebook - Nanny's Sugar Cookies LLC

Hey Nanette - I REALLY appreciate what you had to say here and would love to hear your take on a new thread I just posted in "The Business Side" titled "Turning a Profit". Love your idea of getting in touch with a Small Business organization to get help with all the red tape and details of running a business. I'll bet there are a lot of colleges and organizations that would have free help available, oftentimes geared at women too. Great idea - thanks!
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Love your idea of getting in touch with a Small Business organization to get help with all the red tape and details of running a business. I'll bet there are a lot of colleges and organizations that would have free help available, oftentimes geared at women too. Great idea - thanks!
    Sarah, search for your local SCORE office in your area. It is a free service.

Wow - what an amazing and FREE resource - thanks. I'm all over it!
    Sarah