Thread: Does anyone know exactly how many cups are in a 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar?

Does anyone know exactly how many cups are in a 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar?

I really want to try SugarDeaux's quick drying recipe but don't have an unopened bag of powdered sugar. Thought maybe someone had measured it out at one time or another. I don't have a clue and I hate to run to the store if I don't have to.
    Terri
    There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's screaming to get out...I can usually shut her up with cookies!

Fresh Cut Flours

Just did a search...3 3/4 cups equals 1 lb. of powdered sugar, therefore it would be 7 1/2 cups I guess. How did we ever live without Google
    Terri
    There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's screaming to get out...I can usually shut her up with cookies!

Fresh Cut Flours

Just going to make icing, I'll double check it for you.

Just opened a new 2 lb bag.
    I got 7 1/4 cups and I had to really scrape to fill the last 1/4 cup.

Does anyone know how many cups to use for Antonia 74 Royal Icing recipe? It calls for 2.25 lbs powdered sugar. I always have to guesstimate the amount. And......not always successfully, I might add. :-)

Ruth, someone asked this exact question on Cake Central. According to the answers there are 8 cups in 2.25lbs of powdered sugar. A lot of people that answered the question said they just use a 2 lb bag and the icing comes out fine.
    Chris

Cookies By Chris
    www.facebook.com/CookiesByChris

Quote Originally Posted by barbieitch View Post
    Ruth, someone asked this exact question on Cake Central. According to the answers there are 8 cups in 2.25lbs of powdered sugar. A lot of people that answered the question said they just use a 2 lb bag and the icing comes out fine.
    Thanks! The last time I made this icing, I used 7 cups of sugar and it was a little too runny. Using 8 cups makes sense. I think I probably need to invest in some scales to weigh out my ingredients. It seems like I'm coming across more and more recipes that use weight for measuring flour and sugar.

***Is it just me or do any of you ever mistakenly hit the big blue "Reply to Thread" button when trying to post a reply that you've just typed...which erases everything you've written? It happens to me a lot. You'd think I'd learn. I had to type this post twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth D View Post
    Thanks! The last time I made this icing, I used 7 cups of sugar and it was a little too runny. Using 8 cups makes sense. I think I probably need to invest in some scales to weigh out my ingredients. It seems like I'm coming across more and more recipes that use weight for measuring flour and sugar.

***Is it just me or do any of you ever mistakenly hit the big blue "Reply to Thread" button when trying to post a reply that you've just typed...which erases everything you've written? It happens to me a lot. You'd think I'd learn. I had to type this post twice!
    I think we are going to see alot of differing measurements as we become more connected all over the world. I've thought of investing in good kitchen scales myself just for this reason. I think it's so cool to know how others bake, measure, ingredients used, etc. Look how many countries we represent right here on our cookier list. It's amazing.

Now, as to your "big-blue-key" problems.....ugh! I do that with our laptop...something my left wrist seems to accidentally rests on and it wipes out my entire e-mail or post I'm working on.
    Blessings, Donna B.
    The Cookie Patch
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000474009899