Thread: My cookies are too soft!!

My cookies are too soft!!

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Okay, I baked cookies last night using the no-fail sugar cookie recipe. I rolled them out to 3/8 in. I put them on a rack to cool and left them overnight. This morning they were so soft that moving them caused some of them to break. I still tried to decorate but they are way too soft for packaging. What is the process once the cookies are baked and cooled?

Hi, did you use real butter? I tried margarine but I thought the cookies were to soft. Just an idea!

I have had this happen with cookie recipes before. My house is usually warm, so I notice that alot of recipes I make will turn soft (or like cupcakes will sort of get sticky on top when left to cool, etc.) I would either use a different recipe or let the cookies cool and set up in a cooler room, such as an air conditioned room. If you can afford it, a de-humidifier is a great purchase to make; well worth every penny, especially if you bake and decorate alot.

Hmmm. One thing - 3/8" is a pretty thick cookie - maybe they need to be baked longer? I roll mine at 1/4" and the only time they've been fragile is when they weren't baked all the way through. It is a curious thing though - I hope someone else can be more helpful than me.

I have the same thing but mine are crisp after I bake them. They don't get soft until after I have flooded the cookie with RI and let to dry. They get really soft and I know the weather is getting humid now. My room is air conditioned. Does the de-humidifier help with this problem? Or maybe I need to change the recipe? Mine calls for margarine, icing sugar, flour, and egg, etc.

I think the thickness might have something to do with it also.

What kind of cookie sheets are you using? If you use insulated, they will need to bake longer than other type sheets.

I use them and love them but always add extra time because of that.