Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do red and black bleed into each other at all?

Senior Member Sweet Creations by Debbie's Avatar

Do red and black bleed into each other at all?

I have an order for ladybug cookies later this month and I've never done them before. In the warm weather, I've been having the issue of dark colors bleeding more often, so I've been letting the icing dry longer before doing darker colors next to or over them. My question is: do red and black bleed into each other? Should I flood the red and let it sit overnight before adding the black? I've never used those colors together...

RED---

I cannot answer your question but I will loudly say I DO NOT LIKE USING RED AT ALL!

I only use red when I have to!

I use Michele's (DippinPop's) icing and I have yet to have any problems with bleeding at all. I haven't done red next to black but I have done white/black and red/white. Do you use royal icing?

Quote Originally Posted by cookielove View Post
    I use Michele's (DippinPop's) icing and I have yet to have any problems with bleeding at all. I haven't done red next to black but I have done white/black and red/white. Do you use royal icing?
    Yes, Libby, I'm a RI girl.

I just did some red and black monster cookies. I also use DippinPops recipe and there wasn't any bleed. I have to say I'm a glaze girl but since I've tried Michelle's RI I'm slowing coming to the dark side!!! I love that recipe.
    Chris

Cookies By Chris
    www.facebook.com/CookiesByChris

Quote Originally Posted by barbieitch View Post
    since I've tried Michelle's RI I'm slowing coming to the dark side!!!
    OMG - "Dark side" - lmao!

I think it's all about consistency. If your red and black aren't too thin then you should be out. Maybe thin the black out to between 10-15 seconds. The times that my black has bled are because I had the black too thin. I've made lots of ladybugs with good luck. If you wanted to wait overnight to do your dots they would have a raise look that might give some fun dimension. Good luck!

Here is mine. I use RI. I personally do the base coat day #1 and the detail day #2. Therefore there is no bleeding of the colors. Hope this helps...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2495.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	10342

Quote Originally Posted by Thyjuan View Post
    Here is mine. I use RI. I personally do the base coat day #1 and the detail day #2. Therefore there is no bleeding of the colors. Hope this helps...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2495.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	10342
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the help, Thyjuan!

No problem! Honestly that's how I avoid all bleeding. I always schedule one day for base coating and a second day for all of the detail work.