Thread: Wood Buring Stove and Royal Icing do not mix

Wood Buring Stove and Royal Icing do not mix

My daughters class is have a Pumpkin Celebration, because the school doesn't celebrate Hallowee, don't even get me started on that. So I was making sugar cookies for the class. Everthing was going smoothly until yesterday. My husband was home all day and decided since it was cold out he would start a fire in our wood buring stove which is in our kitchen. I made my icing the day before and had it on the counter all colored and in individual bottles. Well when I got home from work yesterday the kitchen was like 85 degrees and my icing was all runny. I refused to add more powdered sugar. I finally put all the icing in the fridge to chill. Only took me an hour to figure out what needed to be done.
    Anyway the moral of my store is do not have a fire in your wood burning stove when you need to decorate cookies. It just doesn't mix well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakingmom View Post
    My daughters class is have a Pumpkin Celebration, because the school doesn't celebrate Hallowee, don't even get me started on that.
    Too late - I started that "discussion" with my mother yesterday. The nieces had their annual Harvest Festival. What do little ones know about harvesting???? (We live in a city.) We called it Halloween even though we aren't Celtic.

And we have the following "holidays" coming up:
    Veteran's Day, which barely gets a mention. Kids only know that's a day off, but they don't know why.

Thanksgiving - so far, we can call it Thanksgiving even though we mark this as a remembrance to religious separatists seeking a new home where they could freely practice their faith. Hmmm...

Winter Break is still Christmas Vacation and Spring Break is still Easter Vacation to me even though I'm not pagan. What happened to the solstices? OK...I can see Christmas Vacation name change to Winter Break because of Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.

Personally I like to celebrate St. Nicholas Day (December 5th). After all...he is the patron saint of bakers. And I like the 12 Days of Christmas and Epiphany, which is easy to remember since it's the same day as National Shortbread Cookie Day with National Hot Toddy Day, Pie Day and Chocolate Cake Day right on it's heels!

There used to have two President's Days in February - one for Washington and one for Lincoln. Now they rolled that into one and call it President's Day. Candlemas? Went out the window, along with Groundhog Day and The Day The Music Died. Oh, but don't forget Super Bowl - it's not American. But do you know when National Anthem Day is? (March 3rd)

St. Patrick's Day the kids don't have the day off from school, but it gets an honorable mention because they haven't "touched" that yet. I guess it's OK to drink green beer without offending anyone.

And it's OK to drink beer for Cinco de Mayo even though Mexico's Independence Day is celebrated on September 16th.

Memorial Day: see Veteran's Day

They haven't "touched" Valentine's Day or Mother's Day...yet. But can't ya just see it coming? We all have issues with loved ones and our mothers.

I say call the holidays what they are. Should it offend anyone? Oh probably. I like to celebrate a lot of different holidays. I learn so much about the history, culture and country of the holiday. Besides...it gives me a good reason to bake cookies and share with others. Like March 5th: Multiple Personality Day.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Hi there!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Sugar Boy, You made my Friday, I’m here ROFLMAO. Everything you said is so true! So very true!

Baking mom - i've had my share of similar incidents so I feel your pain. It always seems to take a long time that first time to figure out the solution doesn't it? lol

Sugar Boy - thanks for your thoughtful and amusing response. You made my day too :-)

I just joined the forum, so this response is a little late. Sugar Boy--that is hilarious. LMAO, too. Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Grama Queen View Post
    I just joined the forum, so this response is a little late. Sugar Boy--that is hilarious. LMAO, too. Sandy
    It's never too late

Welcome aboard!

Well, thank you, Sugar Boy.......... I learned about St. Nicholas now......didn't know he was patron saint of bakers...
    Blessings, Donna B.
    The Cookie Patch
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000474009899

Didn't know that about St. Nick either....I am going to google it.....and start looking for a silver medallion of St. Nick.....Maybe then I can pray to him when I am worried about blotching icing and cookies drying in time to wrap!!!!! Or my on-going sore arm. Thought I was going to die last night when I finally went to bed....but the cookies came out cute