Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Categories for storing cookie cutters

love2bake, I think you may be my cookie-cutter-collector twin! I also have many many GB cutters, and store and subdivide the cutters as you're describing.

Come to Spring Fling so we can get to know you!

Wish I could come to the Spring Fling! I hope there is a sequel so I can be ready to go next time!

Cindy, someone told me there was a beach somewhere that once had a shop that only sold giant GB people this size http://www.coppergifts.com/cookie-cu...ous-9p1284.htm and custom decorated them as gifts to resemble the person receiving them. He said they were slammed with business and sold for $20 or $25 each (10 years ago). I can't find any bakery online that does this now. I never forgot the idea but always have too many irons in the fire to act on.

I just love the smell of gingerbread baking and have gingerbread candles on a warmer all through the Christmas season. Have just about every gingerbread house book there is even though my skills are limited. While I am not a fan of prebaked kits, that is the only gingerbread house people ever attempt and the results are so disappointing for many. The pieces don't fit, the icing is horrible and the instructions guarantee failure. It makes me sad to know so many parents, grandparents & kids have wonderful visions of a gingerbread house at least as good looking as the pictures on the box and are crushed by the results they get. I teach people how to use the kits and get awesome results the first time. It's fun to see how happy, proud & excited they are with their creations! I always wished for a gingerbread house as a child but never had one until I was 40 and made my own from scratch using a mold. I've found most people have this same secret wish! I especially love giving GBHs to children and elderly folks who are the most thrilled to receive them. It's almost a mission for me.

Sorry I rambled so much but admitting you are a kindred GB spirit set me off

Well...I'm not so organized yet with my cutters being in boxes, etc. because of cost and space. However, when I first started cookieing last year about this time and discovered this forum, I was reading about everyone's dilemma with organization and all. That's when I started keeping a spreadsheet with my cookie cutters, sizes, main category, sub-category, season, etc. I was thinking that if I never had the space to keep containers for the cutters, I might be able to assign each cutter a bin or location number or something like that to be able to find them. Right now the loose ones (that didn't come in a "set box", container, etc.) are in large zipper bags. In the meantime, each time I get a new cutter, I add to the list with all the pertinent information and print out the spreadsheet and keep it in my purse. That way, when I'm out and see a cutter, I can quickly check to see if I already have one like it in the same size or whatever. It's kept me from duplicating several times. I usually sort it by cutter name. You can also add all your colors, sprinkles, etc. to keep from duplicating as well. As my collection of all things cookie has grown it's really helping me keep track of stuff.

Love everyone's ideas! I always take away another good idea from the wonderful people in this forum.
    ~~~ Pam ~~~

Another tip, when its getting closer to the specific holiday, say Easter for instance when all the Easter cutters start appearing everywhere, I spread out my box of Easter cutters on my table and take a picture with my phone, so when I am out shopping and see a good deal on a cutter I am sure if I have or not, I look at my phone picture and see if I do have it already. It has saved me many duplicates, sometimes I see a set of 3 cutters at Ross for 1.99 and maybe I really just want 1 of them but for that price I get it and add the duplicate cutter to a box that I could use for a re-purposed cutter.
    I actually took a picture of my sprinkle drawer too, because I can't resist bottles of sprinkles and I can never remember if its yellow sanding sugar or jimmies that I need.
    I am one of those people that if I like a certain top, I will buy it in a couple colors, so if I am drawn to a new cookie item its probably because I have one like it at home!
    When I first started doing cookies in 2009 I did not own a cookie cutter, as I bought them I added them to a large gallon ziplock bag and stacked them standing up in a large clear bin. When I got too many for a ziplock, I put that collection in a clear shoebox sized bin. I still have some categories like that, not enough to make a whole bin for and I write across the bag in black marker what the category is.
    Don't even get me started on my ribbon obsession.... ribbons and sprinkles and cookie cutters, oh my!

I love all the ideas in this thread. I have been repurposing the large clear salad greens containers from the grocery store for cutter categories. They come in two sizes so if I only have a few of a category I start them in the smaller ones. When they out grow that bin, I move them up. They have lids and stack neatly. I'd rather spend my money on cutters than bins..LOL. WHEN I get my kitchen finished...I'm going to use some of the ideas you gals have for storage. If I get them built in to the drawers and shelves I won't be fighting to find the right places for them. Just finished baking Easter cookies. Want to do a few "all boys cookies", too. Smells so good in here right now...I think I just gained a few pounds from the aroma!!! Aaaahhh, I love this hobby --Katy
    Don't let comparison steal your joy!!! --Sugarbelle
    Compare a little less and enjoy a little more.
    --LilaLoa

You have the potential to make beautiful things. Yes, you.--Chapix Cookies

https://www.facebook.com/katydoescookies

[QUOTE=KrisCraft;46579]Another tip, when its getting closer to the specific holiday, say Easter for instance when all the Easter cutters start appearing everywhere, I spread out my box of Easter cutters on my table and take a picture with my phone, so when I am out shopping and see a good deal on a cutter I am sure if I have or not, I look at my phone picture and see if I do have it already. QUOTE]

Kris, you are so SMART!!! So much easier than making a list and more accurate! Photographic evidence is the way to go!