Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who ONLY use bottles

For those who ONLY use bottles

I will admit I have 6 small bottles with couplers and 4 large--I do not like decorating with them--I mean how do you write with them?? To get steady pressure and move to write neatly?? with a bag I naturally squeeze with my hand --not my fingers and freely move the bag to write smoothly..

I try and try--I will admit that I think it would be easier not to have to make bags up all the time--but I would sacrafice neatness--after just doing a small bit of detailing or outling with a bottle my fingers hurt from squeezing--AND I dont even make my icing as thick as some people here post

so did your fingers used to hurt and now your bottles have been broken in?? or whats teh deal??

LOL

I tend to use mostly bottles... 6 oz for flooding and 4 oz for details... I do use bags sometimes....I fill the bags with the 'saran wrap little bullets' from Karens tutorials. Easy to switch out colors and tips...no mess to really clean up.
    But I feel I have so much more control with bottles... so I use them more often. Plus when I need to stop I just use the screw on top that comes with them and put it away for later. If your icing is too thick yes it will be harder to squeeze and maybe hurt your fingers, but I tend to outline and fill with 1 consistency so its not really an issue. I think its easier to store in bottles , and easier to refill a bottle than opening a bag which can be messy. Maybe try making the icing thinner so it will squeeze out easier?
    Kris
    www.tinydogcare.com

Quote Originally Posted by focadima View Post
    I will admit I have 6 small bottles with couplers and 4 large--I do not like decorating with them--I mean how do you write with them?? To get steady pressure and move to write neatly?? with a bag I naturally squeeze with my hand --not my fingers and freely move the bag to write smoothly..

I try and try--I will admit that I think it would be easier not to have to make bags up all the time--but I would sacrafice neatness--after just doing a small bit of detailing or outling with a bottle my fingers hurt from squeezing--AND I dont even make my icing as thick as some people here post

so did your fingers used to hurt and now your bottles have been broken in?? or whats teh deal??

LOL
    Lisa, I exclusively use bottles and writing definitely took practice. I think most of the time I just hold a small bottle like a really fat pen between thumb and forefinger but will occasionally grip in my fist and squeeze but only if the words are already traced on the cookie or I'm using my kopykake. Since I use glaze I keep the writing icing as thick as I can manage...usually around 15-18 count.

I fill my bags with icing bullets as well

LOL at teh control thing--I DONT use bottles if I need precise control!!

ps--this is why I can not wait until spring fling!!

I use a combination. I absolutely LOVE the bottles for flooding. But, I always use a bag for outlining and writing, or very small details. I know this can be a pain, making a bag and bottle for the same color. I know not everyone will agree with this but, I also just use a small parchment triangle/cone if I have to use a tiny bit of one color. I cut the hole small to do the outlining, and then cut a bigger hole to flood. This can take some getting used to, but it is fast and easy. I also got A LOT of practice when I worked at a resort, and I would write with chocolate everyday using a parchment bag.

Sorry, I know that kinda got off the subject. Yes, my hand does start to hurt after awhile of squeezing the bottles. :-/ It also depends on the tip you use. I have tried the plastic tips that come with the bottle and you have to squeeze a lot harder compared to a metal Wilton tip for example.

I also use bottles to fill--just plain wilton bottles--no couplers unless I have a tiny area to fill

For writing I use the small bottles filled as much as they can be - don't need to squeeze the bottle as much then. For steady pressure I use one hand the squeeze, and one hand to guide.

I use bags to outline/detail and bottles to flood....the bags are easier on my ouchie hands and I do feel I have better control with them. CONTROL is the word and I think we all have to use what works best for us......
    Blessings, Donna B.
    The Cookie Patch
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000474009899

Quote Originally Posted by focadima View Post
    ps--this is why I can not wait until spring fling!!
    So is Spring Fling piping bags only? Does this mean I need to pack my bottles or will I be forced to use icing bags? If so, it's not going to be pretty for anyone!