Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shipping holiday cookies

shipping holiday cookies

so......I have read a lot of what has been posted here. I have yet to ship a large order of any kind.

One of Ds's new college friend’s family wants some cookies-- 4-5 dozen. They are for an office party. I thought at first i would individually bag each cookie and layer in a box with tissue--but ugh it seems like they would have to go through soooo much work to plate them--would it work to box --say 6 in a box separated with thin foam or tissue for cushion??

I will do the floating of one box inside another to help as well..

any tips?? i am scared--but I want to do this favor for them

I shipped my first large order last month 250 cookies. I stacked them in stacks of 10 after they had dried for 24 hours. I put backs to backs as much as I could. Then I wrapped them in bubble wrap and taped the bubble wrap really well. I think put them in boxes with peanuts and unprinited newspaper. They got there and there was not one problem. I have tried in a box like you were talking about and they slid in the box.

I only ship favors that are ind wrapped
    I wrap two together with tissue or bubble wrap
    I stack them in a cake box then drop in scrunched up magazine pages or peanuts to 'fill in' all the empty pockets (no movement of favors)
    I seal, add label, tie with twine (just like a regular order)
    Drop it in a slightly larger box and add peanuts or some type of bubble wrap or those air pillows (I recycle and use what I have on hand)
    Seal and send
    PRAY!

I learned how this method from the UPS gal who gave me a demo with my first shipped order. She said the key is NO MOVEMENT.

*I took a package to Fed Ex yesterday (1st time using FedEx) and as the manager was shaking the heck out of the box, I jokingly asked him to be careful since there were cookies inside.

His response...OH THIS IS NOTHING! YOU SHOULD SEE HOW MANY TIMES IT WILL GET DROPPED ALONG THE WAY! (he was laughing as he said this)
    He said he was just kidding but a little part of me knew he wasn't! Jerk!

what a JERK--I would report him!!

Oh I did! I asked him for the corporAte phone number and dialed as he gave it to me.

I shipped several Large Flat rate boxes of several dozen cookies each last year to family and friends across the country. I was having fun baking way too many cookies and decided the family needed cookies for Christmas as a surprise. I put two to a bag, back to back and had layer of bubble wrap on the bottom, cookies standing on their sides, 2 to a bag, lined up with lots of tissue, bubble wrap, plastic bags etc for cushioning in between and I agree, NO MOVEMENT is the key.. I put that box inside a flat rate shipping box and with more cushion/filler around it.. I watched some tutorials on here for guidance and every box arrived intact and no broken cookies. I asked them to please be honest and tell me, as it was an experience in shipping cookies for the 1st time and it was family. If you don't want to use cello bags to bag them, if they are going on a platter and not to be favors, you could use baggies or plastic wrap and wrap them back to back as well.
    Kris

I have shipped several mostly to family but am still very careful so I can see if they will arrive safely and they do. I do bag them individually and layer with either bubble wrap or tissue and sometimes both as the tissue is more for looks. And I do use boxes with windows in them but try to be sure cookies aren't sliding. "Float" them in a larger box with peanuts and/or airbags around them and they seem to do fine. I always use USPS.
    Blessings, Donna B.
    The Cookie Patch
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000474009899

Quote Originally Posted by focadima View Post
    what a JERK--I would report him!!
    Admittedly the guy was a jerk but as the guy at my post office said, "If you don't feel like the contents of your box would be safe having me drop it from chest level then chances are the contents will never survive shipping." It really is best not to imagine what our boxes go through, how far they're tossed, how high they fall from, and how much they're squeezed and stomped on before reaching their destination.

At this point I would NEVER ship without floating a cookie box inside another box and I'm pretty sure I have enough bubble wrap in our garage to wrap and ship my Subaru Outback

I ship both UPS and USPS but nearer to Christmas I'll only use USPS and the reason is a few years ago I shipped a box UPS near Christmas to my Mom who was 600 miles away, one state up. What I didn't know is that UPS sends every box through their hubs and the closest one to me in California is Louisville Kentucky. Sooooo.....my box left California (sunny weather) to go to Oregon (mild weather) via Kentucky where there were snow storms and delays that caused her package to take 10 days to reach her. All that to say, if you use UPS know what hub it will go through and what the regional weather conditions are at the time of shipping.

there is enough bubble wrap at my work to help me out

thanks for the tips everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by snydbs View Post
    I shipped my first large order last month 250 cookies. I stacked them in stacks of 10 after they had dried for 24 hours. I put backs to backs as much as I could. Then I wrapped them in bubble wrap and taped the bubble wrap really well. I think put them in boxes with peanuts and unprinited newspaper. They got there and there was not one problem. I have tried in a box like you were talking about and they slid in the box.
    I'm always nervous about stacking cookies like that. Even if I know the icing is dry, I'm always afraid that the raised details (like eyes) are going to be smooshed and destroyed in packaging. So the most I combine with raised details are 2 and I put them back to back.