Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who make cake pops

For those of you who make cake pops

I was wondering do you make your cakes from scratch, use box cake mixes and do you use the babycakes cake pop maker or do you bake the cake then smash it all up and go from there? Which way is better? Or again is it just the personal preference? I seem to think using the cake pop maker is easier, but then I am reading where they are not actual cake pops made like cake pops should be.....I have even seen on a video on the net where one person goes and buys the donut holes from say Dunkin Donuts or such and makes the cake pops from there...I guess thats okay if you are in a real hurry.

Roxanne,

If I want to make a lot of cake pops at one time I use a mix and the cake pop maker but what you get is a plain bite of cake and not the richness of a traditional cake pop mixed with icing. When I make real cake pops I still use cake mix mixing with the canned icing, cream cheese or mascarpone cheese.

I make them using cake mix and canned frosting. I don't use the machine even though I purchased it. I like rolling them by hand so I can control how big each pop is going to be.
    Chris

Cookies By Chris
    www.facebook.com/CookiesByChris

Although you cant beat the taste of cakes and frosting from scratch, for cake pops I prefer boxed mix and canned frosting, smash & roll by hand. To me, the consistency is just better, and they seem to last longer. I use my Babycakes maker for donut holes since they are not "true" cake pops.

Good question and answers here....... ya know, there's a "machine" to make just about everything and as much as I'd love them all I think I would have to turn my living room into "Storage 101" to hold them all! lol
    Blessings, Donna B.
    The Cookie Patch
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000474009899

Red face

I'm a cake box and can frosting kinda gal. I bake the cake and break the cake up into crumbs and then add the canned frosting. So easy....Here's a pic. Those electric candy melters are the only way to go when you dip them.

gknee aka Jeanne

Doctor, I'm ready for my cookie therapy...

(Hey, a little flour and sugar is cheaper than a real therapist.)
    http://pinterest.com/gkneez/

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Bailey View Post
    Good question and answers here....... ya know, there's a "machine" to make just about everything and as much as I'd love them all I think I would have to turn my living room into "Storage 101" to hold them all! lol

Well, there's the cake pop roller... Only $269.99...

http://heavenlycakepops.com/?page_id=386

Yeah I saw that sucker and you know what? for the price of it...it can stay right where its at!!! Jeanne when you do the cake and use the canned frosting is it to sweet? Is there a way to make them not so sweet???

Yes, the cake ball roller is a really expensive piece of equipment, but if you do lots of them, and can roll 21 in the time it takes you to hand roll 6, it is quite the time saver. I also roll centers for candy, buckeyes, coconut mounds, and fudge bites. You get a very consistent size with it too. Here are some pics of my fall ones, some cake jewels for Christmas and the candies. For my cake pops, I use a doctored cake mix for the cake, but homemade butter cream for the icing. The amount of icing I use in kind of in between, not as much as Bakerella, but more than some who recommend little to none. And BTW, I did get my roller at the fabulous introductory price!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails two bite candy truffles.jpg   fall cake pops.jpg   cake jewels.jpg   fall cake pops lollipops.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by linedancer View Post
    Yes, the cake ball roller is a really expensive piece of equipment, but if you do lots of them, and can roll 21 in the time it takes you to hand roll 6, it is quite the time saver. I also roll centers for candy, buckeyes, coconut mounds, and fudge bites. You get a very consistent size with it too. Here are some pics of my fall ones, some cake jewels for Christmas and the candies. For my cake pops, I use a doctored cake mix for the cake, but homemade butter cream for the icing. The amount of icing I use in kind of in between, not as much as Bakerella, but more than some who recommend little to none. And BTW, I did get my roller at the fabulous introductory price!
    Those are so awesome! (I actually secretly would love a cake ball roller lol!).