Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFSC Weighing vs Measuring

NFSC Weighing vs Measuring

Hi
    I know this has been touched on in previous posts but I need some clarification please. I would like to start weighing the flour/sugar for the NFSC recipe for ease of time and a more consistant cookie each time. Some have mentioned they weigh the flour for this recipe but the sugar portion of the recipe is not really talked about. I also found a post on Cake Central that talks about this as well and the measurement of the sugar is not discussed either. For those of you who weigh the flour do you also weight the sugar? If so do you mind sharing what weights you use and have you had good results doing it this way?
    Thanks
    p.s. I love this forum. I have learned so much and have seen some amazing cookies!

Jade,

I use to do it by weight but just found it was as easy to measure and the consistency wasn't a problem. If you want weights then just weigh your cup measurements the first time and take note of what the weights are. And yes...if I weigh flour in a recipe I tend to weigh the sugar as well as everything else. I tend to do this more with delicate cakes than with sugar cookies which are much more forgiving of a little more or little less.

I weigh my flour but not the sugar. I use 120g measurement for each cup of flour. The only thing I do with the sugar is give it a whirl in the blender to make it finer since I can't get superfine sugar around here easily. So far it's working for me.
    ~~~ Pam ~~~

I always always always weigh out everything! You can use measuring cups and get a different amount of an ingredient everytime. Weighing your ingredients out is very easy and really is the best way to get consistent results every single time. I do agree that it is more important to get exact amounts in some recipes compared to others. But since culinary school, I have weighed out everything and I am just in the habit of doing that. It really is easy and no harder than using measuring cups. In fact I pour ingredients right into the bowl (on the scale) and do not dirty measuring cups.

I would recommend weighing your ingredients. Especially if you are going to weigh one thing, weigh everything!

I weigh my flour @ 130g per cup (pre-sifted), sugar at 200g per cup and butter at 226g per cup.

You will find that the flour is a little more difficult to calculate an exact weigh for, because it depends on how often it has been sifted and what kind of flour it is.

I also weigh molasses, cocoa powder, honey, confectioners’ sugar, light/brown sugar and syrup. I’m a control freak that way LOL
    *~*~ Rosy ~*~*

Jade... here is a great blog post talking about weighing your ingredients!

http://bravetart.com/blog/WhyWeight/

thanks everyone. this gives me a good starting place. i will be trying out the recipe with weights this weekend so hopefully it goes well.

I also started weighing (I should switch to grams vs. ounces to get an even more precise measurement!). I found that the process goes much faster when I weigh. At some point, when I'm in a more permanent kitchen spot, I will keep a big vat of "dry ingredients" so that I can just weigh out what I need for each batch.

Would any of you weighters share the weights you are using for flour, sugar, etc.? Seems there are so many different opinions out there. Looks like I might be weighing flour on the lighter side, and I have noticed a little more spreading since I started weighing recently. Maybe my ratios are off. I took my recommended weight from KA Flour website. Any thoughts?
    ~~~ Pam ~~~

so i made the recipe this past weekend and weighed out my one cup measure and it came out to 140 grams. i did not measure the sugar though. it seems that the 140 grams per cup in the recipe is fine, any more and i would have had very dry dough. i love the recipe but always have issues with a very dry and crumbly dough. i used to combat the dry dough by using extra large egss but only had large on hand so that could be the culprit this time around.