Thread: Cookies undeliverable!

Cookies undeliverable!

I just got an email from a customer wanting to know where her cookies were.
    After tracking them thru USPS, they were undeliverable as addressed.
    I double checked and I copied her address exactly.
    I emailed her this information and she said her unit #1805 is missing.
    Her fault, she did not give me that info.
    The cookies were delivered back to my post office.
    Thank goodness for email paper trails.
    She asked if they could be overnighted, but I replied my post office is closed.
    That's the last I've heard from her so far.

Her party is tomorrow, so I doubt she'll want me to overnight them tomorrow.
    I feel bad, but know it was her fault. This was an Etsy transaction, you'd think
    she'd have her correct address on file.

Hubby thinks I should offer her something back, but I don't agree.
    Maybe I should just eat the $12.00 regular shipping and send them anyway.
    They'll be late, but she'll at least have cookies to eat.

I am anxious to pick them up from my PO tomorrow and see what the box looks like after
    taking a trip from MD to FL and back.

If I get stuck with them, I drop them off at a local daycare.

WWYD?

Refund her money minus shipping and be done with it.

Think about...what did I learn from this?

*In every business, there's going to be financial loss occasionally. If this was an Etsy transaction, I'm sure you want to maintain a positive rating/feedback so I'd chalk it up to a "loss". Next time, I would send a confirmation email (you probably already do this) with a sentence or two about your responsibility, etc.

My two cents- thank goodness for those paper trails! My email trail really made my point last week when a very frequent customer "thought" she placed an order when she actually didn't. The day of her party, she was upset that I had not made any cookies for her. Although it was her mistake (I went back over the email trail AND since she's a Dr. and it was hard for her to accept that it was her mistake), I offered her a discount on her next order ( I want to keep her business!). She laughed it off and assured me that next time, she'll pay more attention.
    Last edited by The Cookie Corner AZ; February 11th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.

Wow that's a tough one. You did all the work and did your part in trying to get them to her. Im sure you feel bad for her when she was counting on the cookies for her party, but really you are both out on the deal.
    I guess I would refund her money also but not the shipping fee and maybe do something like other companies do and charge a restocking fee. You should not have to be out the money for your supplies and really how many customers think about our time.

I ended up offering her 1/2 refund to cover my costs or, I'll pay the $12.50 and send her the cookies anyway. She can always freeze them and they'll be good for at least 10 days.
    I haven't heard from her yet.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully there will be a resolution. --Katy
    Don't let comparison steal your joy!!! --Sugarbelle
    Compare a little less and enjoy a little more.
    --LilaLoa

You have the potential to make beautiful things. Yes, you.--Chapix Cookies

https://www.facebook.com/katydoescookies

I would offer her a credit (maybe 25%) on her next order, if there is a way to do that on etsy. ("Tell you what I'll do" sort of thng.) I can't think of a single vendor, large or small, who would just hand back money for something that was entirely the customer's mistake.,

Well, before I heard back from her, I went to the post office and picked up the box. Well it looked like it had been used for an NFL football!
    I just laughed when the woman handed it to me with 15 fragile stamps all over! I said you guys are soooo good at your job!
    You could tell heavy stuff was on top of it the way it was smashed. I brought it home and opened it and even the floating box was damaged.
    Elmo and cookie monster survived, but the #2's were all broken.
    Now I know it took an extra trip, Md to Fl, back to Md. But seriously, it's ridiculous! Doesn't anyone take pride in their work anymore?

I immediately emailed my customer, and told her I refunded 1/2 her money and will be dropping the cookies off at my local daycare.
    I didn't tell her how I found the box fearing she'd say she shouldn't pay anything since it was damaged.

Guess I'll be checking and double checking addresses from now on and may even add a disclaimer.