Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you raised your prices?

I'm charging $24 for a dozen--wrapped or on a platter. I love doing them, but my time away from family has to be worth something!
    Sherie

This is a really interesting thread. I'm not surprised, but it still amazes me to see the variation in pricing and what people in different areas are - or aren't - willing to pay.

I'm a Dave Ramsey devotee and he recommends increasing the cost of your goods/services every year to keep up with inflation and increase profit margin when applicable. Doing so on a regular basis will 'train' your customers to expect the rising cost and help alleviate sticker shock. For the past 2 years I've increased my prices on January 1st - the first was from the $5/dozen I was charging when I first started selling (yes, I was apparently insane) to $20/dozen for basic cookies and the most recent was from $20/dozen to $24/dozen for basic, plattered cookies. I received plenty of pushback with both increases and have had somewhat of a drop off in local orders, but I stay as busy as I want and if someone thinks $2 a cookie is too much for their budget then so be it.

On a side note - I was buying platters at Dollar Tree the other day and noticed they had seasonal Easter decorated cookie pops at the checkout - you know the ones that have a shelf life of 1,000 years, looks like it tastes like cardboard and was deorated by a right-handed 5 year old using their left hand? I picked one up to examine it and told the cashier that I made decorated cookies as a hobby but charged more than $1/cookie for mine, she shrugged, looked at the cookies and said - it doesn't look too hard; just buy a cookie cutter, cut the dough out and decorate it. Looks pretty easy, actually. I just smiled and said, yeah, it was pretty easy & she should give it a go sometime. I waited until I was out the door to actually laugh out loud.

I raised my prices at the beginning of the year to $48 per dozen / $4.00 per cookie. I needed for my orders to slow down. I also wanted to discourage large orders. I'm happiest with 1 or 2 dozen per order. Anything over that amount makes me crazy. I've been very happy with the steady stream of orders that I've been getting after raising my price. My life is much more balanced.

The pricing issue for me is just about as pervasive as my struggle with icing consistency!!! Selling cookies is a side job for me - something that puts a little extra $ in my pocket and allows me to enjoy my hobby to the fullest. Since it doesn't pay the rent, I initially thought I would price them low - but my first order I got an order for lace work and as I hunched over my table for hours piping those designs, I was kicking myself for not charging more. I initially wanted to have a nice, streamlined, one-price pricing guideline, but now I know that's not possible - each order is SO different. The cookie sizes are different, the amount of detail, the number of colors, the special add-ons (pearls, luster dust, etc) that I have now decided upon individually pricing each order based on those variables. I feel much more comfortable saying that cookies range from $1.50-$3.00 depending on size and amount of detail...and so far, people seem to be okay with that. Of course there will always be people who think we charge too much, but there are always going to be people who want to get something for nothing. I figure if the gourmet cupcake shops can charge $4 per cupcake (and I make both so I can attest that making cupcakes takes significantly less time than make decorated cookies) then I shouldn't feel bad about my pricing guidelines. Do what you feel comfortable with and you will be fine!
    Last edited by vtomczak; February 24th, 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Made a typo
    ~Victoria~
    Bellaria Bakery
    www.bellariacookies.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BellariaBakery
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellariabakery/

"Winners forget they're in a race - they just love to run" - With Honors

Quote Originally Posted by marymoon View Post
    On a side note - I was buying platters at Dollar Tree the other day and noticed they had seasonal Easter decorated cookie pops at the checkout - you know the ones that have a shelf life of 1,000 years, looks like it tastes like cardboard and was deorated by a right-handed 5 year old using their left hand? I picked one up to examine it and told the cashier that I made decorated cookies as a hobby but charged more than $1/cookie for mine, she shrugged, looked at the cookies and said - it doesn't look too hard; just buy a cookie cutter, cut the dough out and decorate it. Looks pretty easy, actually. I just smiled and said, yeah, it was pretty easy & she should give it a go sometime. I waited until I was out the door to actually laugh out loud.
    Since we don't have a "Like" button here, I'll simply say

I think it partially depends on demographics, too. Most people at my church wouldn't even consider spending $1 per cookie, but I know of other churches where at least some people wouldn't blink twice at $2 each. I think it really is a matter of building the right customer base. I also agree with Ruth about the size of orders, although making and prepping multiple colors for a 1-dozen cookie order is a lot of work, too. I've decided that for me, for now, this is a labor of love that I'm only willing to do for family, friends, and charity.
    Last edited by mpetty; February 24th, 2012 at 02:27 PM.

okay my prices currently are

$40 for a tray of 24 ( usually 4 designs 3 colors)
    $2 for a bagged favor

I HIGHLY reccomend if you are just starting out NOT to charge less tehn this--I am thinking I sould be atleast $48 for 2 dozen and $2.50 for favors--
    things that stop ME from charging more

I am inconsistant--one tray is spectacular the next ehhh "Okay"
    also atleast one design on almost all my trays is a simple "name square"

I stay busy but seriously I need to make more money for my cookies--I am a couponer ( rather extreme-ish) so my ingredients are bought cheap-ish ( good quality like land o Lakes butter--but bought cheap!) BUT ingredients do take away my profits, I am by a major city so I could justify more money

Anita your profits go to a non profit--I think that alone would sway people on paying more

I am seriously thinking on penning a professional email to send out to my list of customers stating that as of June 1st I will be rasing my prices again--knowing that I will lose some customers
    but this morning I was thinking--wow I could work after school taking tickets at a basket ball game and make as much money in 2 hours as I do for a tray of cookies that takes me a lot more time..

I just had a person buy a tray from me, she bought a few trays last year but forgot the cost ( plus like I said I increased them by $5 ) so through the grapevine I heard that she thought they were only $25 and was shocked that they were $40..!!

Quote Originally Posted by focadima View Post
    Anita your profits go to a non profit--I think that alone would sway people on paying more

...this morning I was thinking--wow I could work after school taking tickets at a basket ball game and make as much money in 2 hours as I do for a tray of cookies that takes me a lot more time.
    Both good points, which makes me see this as a labor of love. I think that if I have time to do this in the future (currently I have a possible chance at a full-time job, after several years of unemployment!), I will have to think about choosing a charity to donate my proceeds to.

well during the weeks in december when my spare time was consumed by orders me and dh went out to eat at Qdoba ( we rarely even go out to eat because I am so cheap--LOL)
    But I LOL'd at the total of our bill for 2 of us to eat ONE meal that lasted maybe 20 minutes--I told dh "...and I have an issue with raising my prices....."

Senior Member Sweet Creations by Debbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpetty View Post
    Both good points, which makes me see this as a labor of love. I think that if I have time to do this in the future (currently I have a possible chance at a full-time job, after several years of unemployment!), I will have to think about choosing a charity to donate my proceeds to.
    I stay home with my special needs toddler and whenever I see that some people donate their proceeds to charity, I wonder if stating on my website that all proceeds go toward supporting a special needs child would help. It's true And he's now on some very expensive medication...