Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you dry your cookies?

Where do you dry your cookies?

Usually I dry my cookies on racks or cookie sheets. Does this dry anyone's cookies out? Is there any method to dry them so that they stay fresher? I use royal icing.

Thanks
    Last edited by leniekins; April 13th, 2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo

You'll get as many different answers as there are folks here. I dry mine on racks and then on waxed paper over night before I start decorating. Once the icing is on it seems to lock in the freshness. I don't package them until the icing is completely dried. Have no problems. --Katy
    Don't let comparison steal your joy!!! --Sugarbelle
    Compare a little less and enjoy a little more.
    --LilaLoa

You have the potential to make beautiful things. Yes, you.--Chapix Cookies

https://www.facebook.com/katydoescookies

I use glaze--I decorate and dry on 1/2 sheet pans. When I am done for the night I stack them all together one pan this way the next pan that way etc..sometimes my stack is 8 trays high--there they sit until the next day

I have had zero issues this way--I do not cover them-- I also have a table top "pizza rack" that the pans can slide into--but as much as I like the whole idea of it..one time a pan slide off so now I am afraid to use it again

I keep switching icing searching for the Holy Grail....I dry them like Lisa, whether they are RI, Glaze, or RI Buttercream. Criss cross stacked pans. The icing really does lock in the moisture. I think they taste even better a couple of days "old." I just wish I could make up my mind what icing to use! Like them all for diff reasons....

Sherie

After they are iced I stack criss cross ontop of my washer and dryer over night. No one in my house would be doing any laundry Lol! so it is a safe over night hide out. I did try cover them to dry but it seemed to really slow down the drying time.

LOL carrie thats funny!

I leave my decorated cookies on cookie sheets overnight on the dining room table. I will usually put a dish towel over the top before I go the bed...only because I'm paranoid about something flying or dropping onto the cookies--(ha-ha). Can't imagine what it would be since it's just my husband and I in the house, but I'm a little weird like that. The cookies never seem to dry out like I would think they would sitting out. I guess the icing seals in the freshness like others have said. I have never had a problem with dry cookies. I don't think I would have ever left them out to dry if I had not read about it on this forum. I learn so much here!
    Vicki

The flavors seem to develop better when they have time to mellow. I heard that sugar is a preservative and there's sugar in and on the cookies so there's no worries about them getting "stale" during the whole process.
    Barbara

Be who you are
    Say how you feel
    Those that mind don't matter
    Those that matter don't mind

Quote Originally Posted by lov2bake View Post
    The flavors seem to develop better when they have time to mellow. I heard that sugar is a preservative and there's sugar in and on the cookies so there's no worries about them getting "stale" during the whole process.
    Like that explanation!!!! --Katy
    Don't let comparison steal your joy!!! --Sugarbelle
    Compare a little less and enjoy a little more.
    --LilaLoa

You have the potential to make beautiful things. Yes, you.--Chapix Cookies

https://www.facebook.com/katydoescookies

If my cookies are not iced, I store them overnight in an airtight container. If they are iced and drying, I either leave them on the cookie sheet and cover with the lid or I have some of those big flat containers that are supposed to be used for "under bed storage" that I put them in and cover with lid (single layer). I know that everyone says that the icing "seals" in the freshness, but for whatever reason, I just can't do it. I am super paranoid about my cookies being hard/stale, so I just can't leave them out uncovered. Not saying you shouldn't do...just saying that I can't.
    Terri
    There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's screaming to get out...I can usually shut her up with cookies!

Fresh Cut Flours