Thread: 200 cookies later.....

200 cookies later.....

Hey there! Just wanted your opinions on something:

This past weekend I worked on an order of 200 cookies for one of my local customers. The cookies were being shipped out of town for a party she was throwing in her hometown. She bought the cellophane bags and made these cute little labels for them. Normally I charge an extra $0.25 to wrap cookies individually but since she bought the supplies I only charged her for the cookies. As I spent 6 hours on Sunday wrapping each cookie, attaching the label, putting together boxes, cutting bubble wrap, etc, my husband made the comment, "I sure hope you're charging for the time you spent today." I wasn't. But now I'm thinking I should have or should do it in the future...? What do you all think? When I charge $0.25 for wrapped cookies, I always did so because of the materials, not the time. But it seriously took me 6 hours to do all of these (and I actually made about 250 in case some broke - it's my first time shipping)

Your thoughts?
    ~Victoria~
    Bellaria Bakery
    www.bellariacookies.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BellariaBakery
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellariabakery/

"Winners forget they're in a race - they just love to run" - With Honors

I am probably one of the few that does not charge extra for the bags...I do however, charge extra if they want bows on them. I heat seal the bag, fold it over and attach a label, which is a breeze (although 250 would be a different story). Heat sealing then tying bows is a complete headache, IMO! I have to say you are so brave shipping that many cookies...I get stressed out just thinking about it! I would say you were more than generous with extra "breakage" cookies!
    Terri
    There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's screaming to get out...I can usually shut her up with cookies!

Fresh Cut Flours

I charge if i bag-But for me a tray of 24 is $40 so approx $1.67 each --when I bag and add a ribbon I charge $2 each --so slightly more then you--It takes me TIME and Gas money to drive and pick out the best ribbon for each project--tying up say 3 or 4 dozen does not take a ton of time BUT tying up and packaging over 200 that is a lot of time--I would chalk it up as a learning experience and next time continue to charge for your labor--which I am sure the .25 doesn't begin to cover

You can always charge a shipping and "handling" charge. Add extra $1-$2 per dozen to the shipping charge. If it was an order of 4 dozen, you could get an additional $8 for tying and boxing them. It's not a lot, but it's better than doing it for free.

I agree..I would definitely charge a little more for the shipping to at least get something for your time...

I absolutely think u should charge more for the additional time handling.
    And I think your customer would understand that u are doing additional work. Now that u have an idea how long it takes, u will be better able to quote out the handling charge for next time.

And I have said, "I can bag and tie them for you, but it's extra. You can bag an tie them yourself." Some people want me to do it and pay more.... okay with me.

Still waiting for my impulse sealer!

Deana

I bag and tie for no extra.No heat seal with tying. I use regular curling ribbon, nothing fancy. I have every color from the dollar store or Walmart.
    99% of my business is shipped. Sometimes I feel bad when I quote someone 11.99 for shipping and it really only comes to 8.05.
    But when I think of the bakery box, the tissue, the bubble wrap, my fragile stickers and my time, my gas to the post office, I'm happy to get an extra $3.00!
    I do toppers for family only, no matter who makes the toppers! That's a lot of work!!!

Thanks everyone! The business aspect of the cookie world is what causes me the most headaches (other than icing consistency!) - I really appreciate your input and will likely charge a smallish handling fee the next time.

Thanks again!
    ~Victoria~
    Bellaria Bakery
    www.bellariacookies.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BellariaBakery
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellariabakery/

"Winners forget they're in a race - they just love to run" - With Honors