Thread: How do I attach fondant cut outs?

How do I attach fondant cut outs?

I've never worked with fondant until I recently purchased a Cricut Cake Machine and several fondant molds and plungers. Now I have all of the adorable little fondant thingys and no idea how to attach them to anything. Tried and true tips for attaching them to other fondant, butter cream or RI surfaces, PLEASE! Otherwise I'll be forced to just eat them all!

at spring fling the one fondant cookier said she applies the base layer of fondant to the cookie right when it comes out of the oven and the heat melts it just a bit and attaches itself to the cookie

I've only used small flowers to add as accents and I attach them with icing.

As mentioned I lay the fondant (I actually use candy clay) down while the cookie is still warm. If the cookies are already room temp you can brush a little vanilla extract on the back of the fondant and lay it down. I use vodka sometimes too because like the vanilla its alcohol but leaves no additional flavor. Anyway, the little bit of moisture makes the fondant tacky enough to stick.

You can also use clear Karo syrup, paint it lightly along the edge of the wrong side of the cutout or on top of the cookie itself and place it carefully. It will work out fine. Use a small brush or pastry brush if you're painting on the cookie...goes faster.

It's best to do this while the fondant is still plyable and not completely dry, it may crack.
    Last edited by sweetjane; July 1st, 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks everybody! Y'all are the best! =)