Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smooth Buttercream cake?

Smooth Buttercream cake?

Honestly, I generally use MMF for my cakes, but I tried to do a plain-Jane buttercream cake, and well, it was a Fail Cake! Any ideas on how to get a perfectly smooth buttercream surface? I'm stumped and it was totally easier to make MMF... which is sad.
    Meghan @ The Domestic Sugar Bake Shop
    Domestic Sugar @ the Book of Faces

Smoothing butter cream well is one of my goals for this summer. I've heard that Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack) has a great method and has videos. I just ordered one, but it hasn't come yet. I know that there are some good video tutorials on u-tube, too. Some by Edna (I don't remember her "screen name" though...it might be tonedna, it is on CakeCentral) and she smooths her butter cream flawlessly! If you find any great tips or tricks, please pass them on!

There is an excellent video tutorial here www.designmeacake.com
    AKA Eman

A lot of people use a crusting buttercream icing (this is the one I use - http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2075/...ng-viva-method).

The techniques vary for smoothing the tops and sides. Some people use Viva paper towels (http://cakecentral.com/articles/71/h...el-method-viva).

Some use a foam paint brush roller (http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/...melvira-method).

I don't have Viva paper towels where I live so I have used clean printer paper or wax paper. It helps to use a lazy susan or turntable and a long spatula to pull along the sides.

Put a lot of icing on the top of your cake and smooth it towards the edges and over the sides. Then add more icing to your spatula and smooth it on the sides, collecting the icing that came from the top as well. It will be thick at first but as you rotate the cake and take icing off it will thin out and smooth. I have read if you warm your spatula under hot water first it kind of melts the buttercream and helps to smooth it. It takes a lot of practice to get smooth buttercream just using a spatula or bench scraper.

There are a lot of resources on the web to help as well. Hopefully I gave you some ideas to get started.

There is an excellent video tutorial here www.designmeacake.com

That's toneda's website! She's great!

I use a paper towel to smooth the frosting on my cakes. I use all different brands. They all have different designs, I have even found one that is a flower. So, sometimes I will leave a design in my frosting. I have had
    more people ask how I did that, and I have to laugh because it is so easy! I hope this helps!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiger Cub.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	2079
    Here is a picture of one of my cakes with the paper towel effect. Please be kind, this is not my best work. I threw this together really fast for my
    son's cub scout pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Edible Art View Post

Here is a picture of one of my cakes with the paper towel effect. Please be kind, this is not my best work. I threw this together really fast for my
    son's cub scout pack.

HAHA! I love the paper towel design on the cake itself! Not at all what I expected!

Some good tips. I'm still frustrated. This might just be my thing for the summer as well. Stupid cakes. Cookies are so much more simple!
    Meghan @ The Domestic Sugar Bake Shop
    Domestic Sugar @ the Book of Faces

Quote Originally Posted by bonniebakes View Post
    Smoothing butter cream well is one of my goals for this summer. I've heard that Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack) has a great method and has videos. I just ordered one, but it hasn't come yet.
    Seriously awesome video. It helped me soooooo much!

Quote Originally Posted by Edible Art View Post

son's cub scout pack.

Haha! I use the paper towel method too but I've never used a textured towel. It leaves a pretty neat effect actually!!