Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone make Royal Icing with egg white vs meringue powder?

Anyone make Royal Icing with egg white vs meringue powder?

I'm wondering if anyone still does it the "old fashioned" way? LOL

I have some meringue powder that I brought back with me from the US last year. Trying to get the same stuff here is insanely expensive (~$60.00 for a 1 lb can). Needless to say, until my family comes to visit in September, I won't have much available for use.

I've tried the glace icing and I'd like to try the royal icing as well. I'm afraid I'll run out of meringue powder so I'm wondering if anyone's use egg whites instead?

I haven't tried, but I have a recipe if you need one!

Ohh Susan, that would be great!

I learned making royal icing with egg whites. We were too poor to buy it.
    I was taught to separate the egg yolk and white in a separate bowl. If the egg yolk is broken or breaks while separating, don't use the egg white. Egg white does not readily support bacterial growth but can be contaminated by the broken yolk.

This does not mean one cannot get salmonella poisoning with unbroken yolks. After all, it is raw egg. But just like anything we do or eat, we have to determine what risks we want to take. (I can't do the raw oysters, not because of salmonella, but the ick-factor.)

For each egg white, add one tsp of cream of tartar.
    I use 9 egg whites and 3 tablespoons (or 9 tsp) cream of tartar, 1-2 tsp of vanilla
    Whip till foamy.
    Add sifted powdered sugar to the consistency you want.

$60?! Is that Australian dollars? I wonder what the conversion rate is?
    I see that Wilton sells their 16oz. for $16.99 US dollars and shipping international is about $14. So I was just curious what the dollar conversion is.

Check out this video by SignatureSweetShoppe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efmpm6WNazE
    She uses fresh egg whites. She has others videos too in the side bar that you might be interested in. I watched them all when I was just starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Boy View Post
    $60?! Is that Australian dollars? I wonder what the conversion rate is?
    I see that Wilton sells their 16oz. for $16.99 US dollars and shipping international is about $14. So I was just curious what the dollar conversion is.
    I use this currency converter when I buy items priced other than US dollars. http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Here is a recipe from Sugarbakers' Cookie Cutter Cookbook. Their porportions are what I use for my RI with meringue powder, so hopefully this recipe will be just as good!

This is for "base consistency" and makes 3 cups of icing:

• 3-3/4 cup confectioners sugar
    • 3 large egg whites
    • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
    • 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
    • 1 Tablespoon water
    • Beat 6-8 minutes
    Last edited by PaintedCookie; June 23rd, 2010 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks for the recipes, I'll definitely give them a go.

The $60 was Australian but it's been a while since I looked for it. I just had a look at the Wilton AU site and it's AU$45 plus shipping. I discovered a while back that you cannot order from Wilton US for shipment to Australia. If there's a distributor, you have to go through them. There are a few places that sell Wilton meringue powder and 8oz is about AU$20 and 16oz $45.

After searching further, I've discovered that I can get Royal Icing mixture (probably a combination of meringue powder and powdered sugar etc (not quite sure). The other thing I can get from the grocery store is something called Pavlova Magic. That's often used in place of meringue powder so I'll at least have that as a back up if I don't want to go with the egg white route.

Needless to say, I usually wait until someone is coming to visit and ask them to bring different products etc along with them. LOL

Hi, in Italy we hardly find the meringue powder, which is pretty expensive anyway!!, so we normally use fresh eggs. If you can find it, you can try with pastourized albumen, just safer.
    My recipe is the proportion of 1 albumen and 125 gr of powder sugar to start and some drops of lemon. You can add more sugar depending on the consistency that you want to reach. Obviously you use more eggs if needed!
    I find that this RI is better compared to the meringue powder, but it can be just my impression!
    Have fun!

My first attempt was with egg whites and was thrilled until I read all of the salmonella warnings! BUT everyone thought they were absolutely delicious (and preferred them over meringue RI) but I think I'll continue to play it safe : ) I also keep some powdered egg whites in the pantry & sub if I don't have enough meringue.

Not sure if this helps but check out University of Cookie there's a video for royal made with egg white powder. http://www.universityofcookie.com/20...te-powder.html