Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugarbelle's cookie recipe

Sugarbelle's cookie recipe

I love sugarbelle's cookie recipe for its taste and texture, but I find it so hard to work with! It is so soft that the cookies get misshapen on the way to the cookie sheet, even if I use a spatula like she does. She does not refrigerate her dough because she says it makes the cookies oily, so that trick is out. I switched to lilaloa's vanilla variation cookie which keeps its shape perfectly during the cutting and baking, but to me it does not taste nearly as good. Anyone have success with sugarbelle's recipe?
    Last edited by sweinst; September 20th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.

I use SugarBelle's recipe too, but I do a few things different. I use the butter straight from the fridge. I just cut it up into about 1 inch cubes and put it right in with the powdered sugar. I also use a cold egg. The last thing I do differently, is I use 3 full cups of flour.

Before I made these changes, I had the same issues that you did and really struggled with just getting the cut cookies to the cookie sheet while maintaining the shape. The cold ingredients and the extra flour really seem to work for me and the cookies still taste great!
    Amy ~~ Cookies4Chloe
    ------------------------------------------
    There is beauty everywhere
    - Jay Buchanan

Fantastic, I will try those tips. I really want to be able to use this recipe, but I also want my cookies to look good. How do you find they bake? Do they maintain their shape or spread?

I used sugarbelle's recipe for a while but had to chill it in order to work with it. I thought they still tasted great. I switched to NFSC because I was having horrible spreading issues.
    http://cakecentral.com/recipe/no-fail-sugar-cookies

I think now that it was my oven temperature that was the culprit, but I'm sticking with NFSC.

I vote for chilling your Sugarbelle's recipe and see if you notice a difference in taste or texture.
    . . . Dotty . . .

. . . My Cookie Diary . . .
    . . . My Website . . .
    . . . Find me on . . .
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
    Pinterest

Quote Originally Posted by sweinst View Post
    Fantastic, I will try those tips. I really want to be able to use this recipe, but I also want my cookies to look good. How do you find they bake? Do they maintain their shape or spread?
    I barely have any spread at all. They maintain their shape extremely well. My mom joked that you can barely tell the difference between the unbaked cookies and the finished ones. I can put them very close to each other on the baking sheet too.

Also, I bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes. I actually ended up baking them at a lower temperature on accident. I just noticed a couple weeks ago that her recipe calls for 400, but I've been doing it at 350 for a while and the cookies are perfect.
    Amy ~~ Cookies4Chloe
    ------------------------------------------
    There is beauty everywhere
    - Jay Buchanan

I have been meaning to try her recipe. I use Lila Loa's now. I really like it, but I have to refrigerate it to be able to get them to cut cleanly and move them to the cookie sheet.

I haven't had to refrigerate LilaLoa's which I like. I use the 4 1/2 cups flour and the dough is pretty stiff.

I usually only use the 4...that's why. When I add more I have no issues. I have started my routine lately where I make dough and roll it out in plastic wrap, and then refridgerate that until the next night after work when I bake. It helps since I don't get much time to cookie except at night after work and making dinner, walking the dog, and all that responsible adult stuff we have to do.

Senior Member Sweet Creations by Debbie's Avatar
    I'm feeling super wishy-washy about my cookie dough recipe lately. For a long time I used a variation of the NFSC recipe. Lately I've been using LilaLoa's. I like that hers are so soft, but I've been finding lately that after sitting out for a couple of days while decorating, they have been drying out on me quite a bit. I'm afraid they might get too stale. But I haven't had any blotching lately with hers (my theory is that the proportion of butter is less than the NFSC recipe and that's why?) so I'm afraid to go back. Like I said, wishy-washy. I haven't tried Sugarbelle's though. I thought I remembered hearing that they're really fragile so I was afraid to.

Sugarbelle's are a bit fragile, to the point of accidentally breaking off pieces of the cookie while decorating. Once decorated, they have been fine and shipped okay too if you package them well. They really do taste so good though, I think I am going back to that recipe.