Thread: Maybe this will help with RI

Maybe this will help with RI

Overbeating
    Many air bubble problems are caused by overbeating the icing. This is usually due to overzealous beating with an electric mixer, which incorporates too much air into the light, delicate ingredients. To prevent bubble formation, use a hand mixer or whisk or turn the mixer speed down to a lower setting and turn it off right after the icing ingredients are fully combined.

Resting Procedure
    If you already mixed your royal icing and need to remove bubbles from it, put in it an airtight bowl to keep it moist and let it rest for several hours. This allows the bubbles to rise to the top, at which point the icing can be slowly folded or stirred to make it less airy and more manageable

Read more: Why Do I Have Bubbles in My Royal Icing? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8720935_do-...#ixzz2ATn4fVZF

Alicia, I think you have hit on an important point: Resting Procedure! Sometimes I make a big bowlful of RG, cover it with a damp towel with a plate on top and put it in the fridge overnight or let it stand on the counter until I'm ready to use it. Zillions of bubbles rise to the top! I run a spatula over them to break them and within an hour there are still more bubbles to be broken. It almost sounds like bubble wrap popping when the spatula runs over them.

Other times I immediately pour the icing into ziploc bags and freeze it. I've noticed tiny bubbles in the icing in the bags but there is no way to pop them. I never thought much about it until you posted about the "Resting Procedure"! This may account for why I sometimes have craters and sometimes don't. I'm going to let my bowl of icing rest longer and keep running the spatula over the top until no more air bubbles form and see if it makes a difference in cratering.

Come to think of it, I used to leave all of the icing in the bowl in the fridge and remove just what I needed as I went along. I always ran a spatula over the top to break the layer of bubbles that had formed. Sometimes it would take me a week to use up all of the icing and I would need to break the bubbles and then stir it gently to make sure any separation was blended. I don't remember having cratering problems back then. Hmmm!
    Barbara

Be who you are
    Say how you feel
    Those that mind don't matter
    Those that matter don't mind

I let my RG rest also. I try to do it overnightbut at least a couple of hours. Next time I think I will use my whisk attachment.